"Dear"

The war wages outside, screams sounding from every direction. Then, quiet. Both sides retreat into their vehicles as police radios sound off from inside them, alerting them of the incoming mutual threat. The only difference between the two sides? One of them is leaving with their leader.

Back at home, I take off my vest, dropping the belt from underneath my dress and letting go of the dagger in my other hand. The chaos around me quickly turns to order, everyone stopping in their tracks to watch as I walk through the sea of fear-stricken or determined faces at work to take down those who dared try another attack. Pure respect is earned, not ordered, something the man we captured had failed to understand. The rat we have had scurrying around his house of operations fed us intel we would have never gotten our hands on otherwise.

Since that fateful night, we have been at it harder than ever, unsure of the future; for a once perfect plan turned into a dirt-covered blood-dripping double-edged blade, one that was bound to impale us both.

"His highness" was bound to the wall, clothes tattered and bloodied and yet he still fought against the room, grasping onto every ounce of hope to escape he had. As I entered the room, that hope slowly began to diminish.

~~ 

The chains rattle as he fights to get out of them, but to no avail. The silence that falls is quickly broken by the clicking of my heels against the cold cobblestone beneath me taking me to the other side of the room. I stop three feet in front of him and look down, an involuntary frown appearing on my face. He slowly raises his eyes to mine, fire dancing within.

"My love" I sigh.

"Dear"