01 :: The Brown Sheath

Warning: There may be a few graphic scenes involved

----------

"ᴛᴡᴏ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ, ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴜɴ
ʀᴇᴀᴅʏ ᴛᴏ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ᴘʟᴀᴄᴇ ʙᴇʜɪɴᴅ
ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ᴅɪᴅɴ'ᴛ ᴇɴᴅ ᴏɴ ᴀ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ɴᴏᴛᴇ
ᴏʀ... ᴅɪᴅ ɪᴛ?"

Before I delve into the narration of the most incidental reaping of the year, I would like to tell you a little more about where I was. I doubt you'd comprehend anything if you didn't have that information. And since it requires much of your active imagination, than your passive one, I suggest you switch your fanciful mode on.

Meos. The capital of Eclax.

To clarify, Eclax is the location of all events. Everything. And when I say everything, I really mean everything. Yeah, I was just repeating myself there, for that extra bit of accentuation. Literally. It isn't easy to think about a place so new to your fresh and gullible minds, so I'll help you through it.

The colder months had sent in a blanket of snow, engulfing the country. White on top, white on the bottom, and white everywhere. There was not a smidgeon of heat anywhere in the country. But there was nowhere else for anyone to go. Eclax was the only nation to have survived the harrowing experiments. Experiments that wrecked the human world altogether.

But don't get me wrong; I'm not complaining. The experiment - Nova, as they called it - had not left me with a split moment to spare. I had been floating around, gathering as many people as I could in the enormous expanse of air that my arm span could encompass. Had I been paid for what I did, I'd truly have gotten a huge sum out of the sheer effort I took to finish that.

Anyway, I was right there, at such a place that had lasted despite all odds. It's frightening to know that there are more undeserving scoundrels still alive. Sadly. But that had been the rule of your world, hadn't it? 'Survival of the fittest' as you claimed. 

----------

I was standing on immaculate snow that had only been tainted by the occasional footprint that had disrupted the otherwise flat snow. I was seized by an insatiable urge to stoop forward and straighten that spot, but it wasn't my place.

It was time for me to execute what I did best. Gather souls. Give them an abode to gather into. I wandered around a little before I finally caught the person I was intended to gather into a warm embrace.

He was tiny, oh so tiny. His black hair fell like a layer of blanket on his face. The strands were a little matted and curled, due to the lack of resources; but he still was a fine-looking, young man. It probably had crusted mud and snow, mixed into the strands; yet he still looked not-so-shabby. Plush cheeks, the skin kept treasured away from all the blemishes. Honestly, he didn't deserve to die. It was a moment of conflict, of course. He'd just been released into the savage of a world, but he had to depart so early.