chapter three: acceptance

reverse: a complete change in direction or action.

***

It had been about four weeks since the entrance exams had concluded and emiko was sitting at her desk, thinking of her results, her acceptance if she even was accepted.

She tapped the same pen on the table for the 1,800th time, full of anticipation within each hard tap against the table.

Emiko's patience was running thin.

She had started to come home when the mail man arrived to 'coincidentally' grab the mail.

These two weeks had been the most excruciating, boring, and not to mention the most motionless time of her life.

"Emiko, a letter!" a loud and authoritative voice echoed throughout the house.

She made her way downstairs to find her adoptive mother sitting at the dining room table, greedily passing the letter between her fingers like she owned it. 

It took willpower for emiko not to snatch the letter right there and then, but she remained composed despite the heat crawling up her spine.

Emiko's adoptive mother had always discriminated against the idea of becoming a hero. she thought it was childish and dumb to fall into an outdated career choice.

It only angered her to find out that her only daughter wanted to indulge in the eluded fantasy of heroism. She was among the people who believed that the "age of heroes," was coming to an end.

She was one of the people who believed the significance of pros was withering.

Emiko didn't let her mothers beliefs interfere with her own. She had actual morals: she wasn't interested in all the extra.

She wanted to be someone that was able to protect someone's innocence for as long as possible. after being stripped of an imagination at a very early age, she found it to be sacred. a treasure that not everyone has the luxury of keeping.

Enji todoroki had also told her to participate in the entrance exam. He had trained her to keep Shoto in check.

For many years, Endeavor has financially supported their family in exchange for Emiko's allegiance. She felt he was another resource to survival, so she followed the rules.

This letter meant that she could continue to survive and stay by Shoto's side.

At the table, the two women stared at each-other in silence. One was anxious to rip the letter open and see its contents. The other full of excuses as to why she shouldn't.

"Do you really want to open this?" Emiko's mother asked sternly, holding the letter high. "You don't always have to be the rogue in this family!

give me the fucking letter.

"would I be here if I didn't?"

As the two individuals snapped back and forth about the letter, Emiko's father entered through the front door in his clinical coat and button up shirt.

A quick sigh of relief released from their lungs as his presence alone forced the tension to settle.

He was much more understanding than Akemi.

"Hello Emiko," he softly smiled: putting a hand to her head.

She nodded and looked back at Akemi who continued to withhold the letter in her sleek and manicured hands.

He noticed the rise in tension and eyed his wife in confusion. At the sight of Akemi, he could read her thoughts perfectly.

"I just don't think this is the best option for her!" Akemi began, "There are so many other realistic career paths than being a hero!"