Chapter 1: Snowdrift

Valentina hung her head as she shut the door behind her, not looking back for a second at the empty house. God damn it all, she was tired of life. Gone were the days she'd come back to a couch with the leather peeling off sobbing into her knees. Gone were the days emotions would rush in and out of her head without end as her deadbeat roommate didn't as much as say a word to her. She couldn't be numb to the world anymore, today she'd run away...

With nowhere to go. In the middle of winter in North California. 

'Yeah... Maybe not your best idea Valentina.' She thought to herself as she kicked snow off her heel. It didn't snow much where she lived, but it was cold as all hell. Hopefully she found a place to stay before her nose froze clean off, but for now, she trudged through the snow, trying not to look back. She couldn't be a coward anymore. She had to do this, to run away and leave everything behind. Besides, even if she could salvage what was left of her life... She didn't think it was worth saving.

No more praying that things get better, no more staring out at the moon as if it could magically fix all of the heartbreak. It was time she finally did this. For herself.

As soon as she felt she was going to die of hypothermia, Valentina stumbled across a bar, and while she decided she wasn't going to pick up a drinking habit again anytime soon, it beat starving in the cold. The door chimed as she pushed it open. Finally, some warm air. People conversed noisily, but something caught her eye, she absolutely didn't know why though. A stranger, with a drink, all alone in a chair... A pistol in his pocket.