Chapter 8

When he came out of the bathroom, he looked around for Bryce . He checked his bedroom first. He wasn't there. He checked the upstairs living room where the boys were sleeping. He wasn't there. Finally he saw the brunette downstairs on the couch sitting cross-legged. Lance walked to the couch and sat on the opposite side of where Bryce was sitting. They faced each other.

The silence stretched.

                    Lance broke the silence, "Listen Bryce , you're my best friend and I don't want to ruin our friendship, but I really, really like you. I have since 5th grade."

Bryce was silent, speechless actually. He didn't know what to say.

Lance continued, "Please, say something."

                   Bryce opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by a loud phone ringing. He recognized it as his mothers ringtone coming from her room. He didn't know who could be calling her this late at night, but Lance did. It was his mother.

                    They both looked at each other, worried in Lance's eyes. They both moved off the couch at the same time and slowly jogged to the closed door. They put their ears against the door. They couldn't hear what Lance's mother was saying on the other side of the phone. All they heard was Bryce's mom saying "....Yeah, he told me you agreed to let him come over." They both knew what Lance's mother said on the other side. "Yes, of course I can drive him home tomorrow, I am so sorry."

"Shit," Lance whispered, "I'm in big trouble now." he said with a slight laugh.

                     "Bye, have a good night Amanda, again I am so sorry," was the last thing the boys heard before hearing Bryce's mom hang up the phone.

                     "Damn, well I should get to bed, I have a long day of lectures and scolding tomorrow." Lance said humorously.

                     As Lance turned around to walk to the stairs, a hand grabbed his wrist. "Goodnight Lance." Bryce said quietly, pulling Lance close and kissing him on the cheek.

"Goodnight Bryce." Lance said blushing.