Control Shift

At home, I regretfully turned on my console.

Distracted by thoughts of the transpiration of events, the calculated effort it must take.

Bruce was tagged in the back by the enemy," thanks for the heads up Luke," he said sarcastically.

"Sorry about that."

"Yeah! We won" Bruce paused, "No thanks to Luke."

"Yay," I said unenthusiastically.

The next day at school Sam came up to me, "You've been distant lately." Sam remarked.

"It's been really bad lately."

"What's wrong?"

"I don't really want to get into it right now."

Sam placed a hand on my shoulder, comforting me, "I'm concerned, I feel like I'm losing my best friend, you've lost your easy-going personality."

I showed Sam the article, she was nearly as disgusted as I was.

"They're trying to destroy my name."

I would be classified among the ranks of pedophiles and murderers. That wasn't a jab at Bruce. I knew he made an honest mistake. In this day in age, we walk a thin line, where everything can be brought up pertaining to your name with a single click. It's becoming a culture of what not to do instead of what to do. Anything to preserve your identity.

"I'm being attacked by a group of hackers, they've already hacked my socials, there's no telling what else they have access to."

"Slowdown, you're losing me. You think people are after you?"

"Precisely."

She laughed sliding next to me and rubbed my head, "Why would anyone do that to you of all people?"

"I don't know, but you... believe me... don't you? Please tell me you do."

"I believe that you believe, I just don't know," she said, "Maybe you're overthinking things."

"Sammi, "I pleaded, showing the text message I had received.

"I believe you. But who? And why?"

I gave a vacant expression, "I've been asking myself the same question only to find no answers."

"Don't worry about it, the more attention you exert, the more interested they'll become. Maybe if you stay away, they'll stop both... harassing you."

"I wish it was that simple, this is my life I should be able to live itthe way I want."

In that thinking there was a flaw. It was the flaw in freedom: I had the freedom to do as I wish while they had the free will to tamper and thwart any efforts, I made upon living my best life. It's crazy how freedom has this containing effect.

I received a message from Alia, "Can I see you?"

I invited her to a party on the game. I was a bit taken aback, I didn't quite understand what she meant, had it not been confirmed that she was a hacker and that she had visuals of me?

"Meet me where we first met."

At the liquor store: is she even coming? Here I am on the borderline of sanity, reaching out desperately for any solution.

I scanned down the path from whence I came, "Hey," a soft voice started from behind.

"Do you have Skype?" I asked.

"I don't trust Skype with the security of our conversation, by the wayis your phone off?"

"Yeah, I'm two steps ahead, what are the alternatives?"