Innocence and Naïveté

(Y/n) was lost in his own little world as he walked the crowded streets, thoroughly enraptured. It all put even the pictures in his books to shame.

"Ow!"

Completely distracted, it wasn't much of a surprise when he ran into something and fell face-first onto the ground.

"What in the name of Ithar?!"

(Y/n) pushed himself up only to meet the angry ice-green eyes of a man cloaked in fine silk.

"Sorry, I wasn't-"

"Shut your mouth, peasant!"

(E/c) pools widened. (Y/n) had never been talked to like that before...

"I ought to have your hands cut off for this, you insolent little-"

A church bell began to ring, and the agitated man shut his mouth, turning his gaze toward the palace. He growled down at (Y/n) before turning away, his coattails flowing behind him as he ran off towards the magnificent castle.

"Hmph... rude."

(Y/n) dusted himself off, trying to ignore the sour taste in his mouth at such an impolite interaction.

"(Y/n)!"

The young man jumped at the sound of his name, turning to find his mothers running to him. Miriam took him into her arms, hugging him close and weeping. The passerby now had their eyes on them, murmuring amongst themselves.

"You had me worried sick!"

"M-Miriam, you just-"

A crowd was forming around them, slowly pushing in.

"Did you call this boy "(Y/n)?" As in... the hidden prince?"

The murmuring increased tenfold, quickly becoming an uproar.

"He is, isn't he?! He's the prince!"

Miriam held (Y/n) tighter, closer, as the crowd began to push and shove. Some simply wanted to be the first to see the prince. Others... well, their eyes were far too unkind to mean anything pleasant.

"I'm... confused. What are they talking about, mama?"

Sophie was trying to keep the crowd at bay, sheilding her family as best she could with her body alone.

"Halt!"

All at once, the mass of people stilled.

"Madame, is this truly the prince?"

The guard's eyes couldn't be seen from beneath her helmet. She looked just like the knights in (Y/n)'s fairytales.

"Y-yes, Ms... th-this is (Y/n)."

She crossed her arms, the metal of her armor loudly clanking together with the movement.

"I'm going to need the code to confirm that. If you really are the prince's caretakers, you should both know that he isn't supposed to be here until tomorrow."

"What is she talking about?"

(Y/n) continued to be ignored, held comfortingly in his mother's embrace.

"Yes, Ms. Of course, Ms."

Miriam's hand shakily took hold of the chain to her amulet, pulling the pretty gem up from the cover of her dress.

"You... what the hell are you doing here with him?! Do you want him to get-"

"H-he ran off on his own! I never thought he'd find the way here without us!"

As his mother continued to argue with the guard, (Y/n) felt himself get pulled away by a different guard.

"H-hey! Let go of me!"

"Wait! Wh-what are you..."

The guard scoffed.

"He's better off at the castle now. What's the point of dragging him into the woods again just to bring him back tomorrow?"

"I..."

But there was no argument to be made. (Y/n) struggled as he was dragged away, still not really understanding what the hell was happening.