Chapter Two

Story: Broken But Brave
Chapter Two: Unbelievable, lost case.

"Charges against the auror, Harry James Potter - attempted murder on several persons in the year 1998 on 2nd of May, murder of one, Tom Marvolo Riddle, treason against the ministry, breaking into the Wizarding bank, use of unforgivable curses, cause for several deaths, leader of an illegal group which was unbeknownst to the Ministry and so on," Umbridge said. Harry stared in disbelief. How. . . what the hell? She's keeping a trial for him for killing Voldemort?! A trial for a not-so big mistake which took place nearly three years ago?!

"That's outrageous! That event took place nearly three years ago and Voldemort is gone for goo-" Ginny shouted but was cut off by the most disgusting sound on earth.

"Hem hem. Miss Weasle-"

"That's Mrs Potter to you, Umbri-"

"That's Minister Umbridge to you, young lady!"

Ginny was about to retort but Mrs Weasley shushed her. Harry had not known her presence until then. However, Mrs Weasley herself started to rant.

"Minister! Voldemort was to be killed! If he wasn't killed, we would have been killed-" but even she was cut off.

"Aurors, escort Mrs Weasley and Mrs Potter out of here!" Umbridge ordered.

"Excuse me, I am here for giving the testimony and so is my wife and daughter. We are, according to the law, not subjected to dismissal until we have delivered the testimony." Mr Weasley spoke up. Harry had not noticed him too, so he began to look for the others. He spotted a very enraged looking  Bill, Fleur, George, Angelina, Luna and finally Andromeda Tonks. Where were Ron and Hermione? Before he could ponder that question, Umbridge declared order and restarted the trial.

"Plead your case." That was all she said. Ginny stood up almost immediately before Mr Weasley could. She took a deep breath and looked at Harry in the eye, her blazing look was back and Harry was reminded of several sweet memories.

"I am Ginevra Potter. I have been through everything. From losing my own brother at the battle in which I fought to watching the several massacres Voldemort created," she said, not taking her eyes of him, "I have tried my best to be with Harry when he went through his hard life. As I was with him, as his wife, I know everything about him and I know that he wouldn't hurt a single pigeon though he fears them." Harry smiled at this. Of course she would joke about his fear of pigeons. "He was destined to kill or let to be killed and Voldemort just wasn't some great personality like Minister Shacklebolt was. Why don't you try finding Minister Shacklebolt's assassin? All Voldemort did was kill and torture. I spot several of his followers here who have used unforgivable curses several times in their lives. Harry only used Imperio against a goblin for a good purpose of destroying Voldemort-"

"How can you call that as a good purpose? He killed a highly respected man when he was seventeen." A member, who Harry assumed was a Death Eater, spoke up. Harry snorted at this. Respected.

"Excuse me, sir. He was respected only by dark people like. . . I don't know, maybe you?" Mrs Weasley shot back. Though even that was sarcastic. Eaters respected him because of fear. "Harry did not kill Riddle. Riddle's own killing curse backfired and that was how he died-"

"Mr Potter was the one who was battling Mr Riddle. He is the one to blame for the backfiring," Umbridge said.

"What?! Don't you understand?! Harry did not kill him and even if he did, we would stand by him. Do you even know about the mass murders he and his followers, some present here, did?! Voldemort was a dark, vile and. . . I just don't know, his name contains a lot of negative adjectives! Voldemort is the reason my twin is no more!" George stood up and shouted.

"And my grandson has lost his parents because of him!" Andromeda shouted as well.

"SILENCE! I believe that Mr Potter could have handed Mr Riddle over to aurors instead of killing him. Mr Riddle would have received a life long sentence in Azkaban instead of the way he was brutally killed!" Umbridge shouted.

Harry tried opening his mouth but no words came out. Someone must have used a silencing charm on him.

"Hand him over to the aurors?! Minister Shacklebolt and several ministry officials were part of the war!" Angelina said in a fiery tone.

"The war was a tragic incident. Mr Riddle was not seriously involved in it," Umbridge reasoned. Harry was, by now, shouting at the top of his lungs but no sound came out.

"So you mean my daughter fell dead on her own accord? My son-in-law and several others too?!" Andromeda demanded.

"That was because of Mr Potter's fault-" Umbridge started but before she could finish, all the Weasleys plus one Tonks and one Potter started shouting and lashing out at the prideful Minister.

"How on earth is it Harry's fault?!"

"He was the one who saved us!"

"He is the reason we are alive!"

"Lives are lost in a war and it is not Harry's fault!"

"Voldemort was the leader of the dark side! He caused the deaths!"

"Even we fought and we know the scenario more than you do! "

"Mr Potter is too noble to kill anyone!" That voice was familiar. Harry was surprised to see McGonagall standing there along with Percy Weasley.

"Ah, headmistress, I see you have come as well-"

"I don't need any greeting from you, Minister. The entire trail is pointless and rubbish. I demand you to release Mr Potter, this instant!" McGonagall demanded.

"I am afraid I cannot. Mr Potter's acquaintances are here as well. Let them in, Proudfoot!" Umbridge barked. Harry's eyes widened as he saw Ron, Hermione and Neville walk in, binded physically as well as magically. They looked really pale as if they were cruciated. He could not watch them like that.

"They have been charged with almost same charges as of Mr Potter. If Mr Potter is proven guilty, so will it be for them unless proven otherwise by himself."

Harry struggled hard on his binds and Proudfoot lifted the silencing charm from him. "No! They did not do anything! It was me! I killed Riddle! Arrest me instead! Leave them alone!" he shouted. An evil smirk crossed Umbridge's face as she looked at him.

"Mr Potter himself has admitted the mistake. Therefore, he receives not less than 15 years of his life in Azkaban prison. Aurors, take him!" she ordered.

The look that Harry saw on his friends' and family members' faces was absolutely disheartening but he couldn't bear to look at Ginny. Aurors Proudfoot and Savage escorted him, both wearing serious faces though Harry could tell they were sympathizing with him. Before he would leave his freedom behind, he chanced a look at his wife.

She wore a look of absolute disbelief and pain. Tears leaked out of her usually warm and twinkling brown eyes as it met his moist green ones. Her lips quivered as she sat down heavily, supported by her mother. Harry couldn't watch it anymore but he forced himself to mouth a 'I am sorry, I love you' to her but all she did was turn away rather nimbly and walk quickly out of the courtroom. Harry's heart broke into pieces at the sight he just now witnessed. Without looking at anyone and with a very heavy heart, he followed the guilty looking aurors, hands tied to his back. He felt like the worst person - worst husband to ever live. The tiny fragment of hope that his life would change for better left him eternally as he walked to his new home. He rather selfishly wished he was dead rather than watching Ginny look so lost and depressed. He hoped that at least one day, maybe fifteen years from now, he would see Ginny and apologize to her profusely. Maybe. . . just maybe that would be his life goal now - to survive Azkaban for his love.

Was this chapter sad? I found myself getting emotional while writing this. Heavens, I don't know how I completed it, especially the last paragraph. Sorry for all the bashing that happened in the chapter. I had to do it and of course, Umbridge would be the perfect one.

The case which was brought up was silly, I know but that was only thing I could think of. The traits of the characters were changed too. I am sorry if it did not live up to your expectations.

Thank you for reading!

Miyoko x