Makeup Tips

Organization
---------------------
Mason jars are great for storing your makeup brushes. If you're not that much of a DIY girl, stores such as Target and Walmart have great (and cheap) boxes and other things that you can use to store your makeup in.

Use a toothpick dispenser to store your Q-Tips in.

Shoe organizers are inexpensive and you can buy them usually anywhere. Hang them on your closet or bathroom doors, and you can store all your makeup in each of the pockets. You can organize it so that all the brushes stay together, all the mascaras, all the lipsticks, etc.

Take the empty space in a bookshelf or a desk and use that to your advantage to store your makeup in bins and containers, or just out in the open.

For this DIY project, take a magnetic board, hot glue little magnets to the back of your blushes and eyeshadows, and then just stick the products to the board. You can hang this up on a wall or anywhere you'd like.

Foundation Tips
------------------------
The first thing you have to do when buying the right foundation is find your color. Test this on the back of your hand, but if you can, test it on your jawline. Make sure the lighting is good wherever you are. The color is correct if it disappears without blending. I like to go to Sephora and ask for help, because they'll help you find your perfect foundation and your perfect color!

There are a few things to know when buying foundation. For starters, you might want light coverage, medium coverage, or full coverage. A light coverage foundation barely covers your face, whereas a full coverage foundation should cover completely everything.

Do you want a matte finish or a dewy finish? Matte foundations have a smooth finish with no shine or dewy appearance. However, some people like a dewy finish because it can make you look younger and healthier. This is something to consider when buying a foundation.

If you have acne, you definitely need to buy a non-comedogenic foundation. This means that the product does not use as many harsh chemicals as regular products do. Non-comedogenic products should not break you out. Always look for this when buying anything you're going to put on your skin.

Before applying foundation, you should always wash and moisturize your skin. I use CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser, and my dermatologist recommended me washing my face with cool water rather than warm. I'm glad I took his advice because it leaves my skin feeling refreshed and it wakes me up in the morning! Toners are optional but they remove traces of dirt, makeup, and cleanser residue. I apply my Burt's Bees Clarifying Toner with a cotton ball. After that is dry, you need to moisturize your face. If you have oily skin, use a gel moisturizer. I use Simple Ultra-Light Gel Moisturizer. CeraVe and Burt's Bees have regular moisturizers that I recommend for people with dry skin. You can find all of these products at Walgreens.

If you have oily skin, or you want your foundation to last longer, try applying a translucent powder after applying your moisturizer. This is also a substitute for a Primer. Then do your foundation.

The best way to apply foundation is with a sponge. You can use a brush or your fingers, but you should definitely invest in a regular makeup sponge or a Beauty Blender.

It's a good idea to squeeze a little bit of foundation on the back of your hand. Then, using a sponge or a brush, dip your preferred tool into the foundation and gently start to apply it to your face. Make sure you completely blend everything in. Makeup should be applied to your neck, too, so your face isn't a different color from the rest of your body.

If you have dry skin, use a sponge to apply your foundation. Apply AloeVera gel to your skin and it will help keep your dry skin in place so it won't start to flake off.

If you have oily skin, keep oil blotting wipes with you to help with the shine throughout the day. Shine control powders can also be a good idea.

Concealer should be a shade lighter than your face. This will cover your blemishes and dark under-eye circles.

After your foundation, a lot of people like to use powder to set their foundation. This is optional though, because some people don't like a powdery or matte look. If you have oily skin, you should definitely use a powder to set your foundation.

Eyes and Eyebrows
---------------------------
If you don't have an eyebrow gel, use clear mascara or a little bit of Vaseline as a cheat to keep every hair in place, or to shape your eyebrows. You can buy pencils to shape or fill in your eyebrows, but a good cheat is to just use a little bit of a matte eyeshadow and apply it with a brush to fill them in.

If you have dark hair, your eyebrows should be lighter than your roots. If you have light hair, your eyebrows should be darker.

There are so many eyeshadow looks. You can easily find tutorials on YouTube, or just experiment on your own. For a natural look, just use a creamy color on your base. Then, take a darker brown shade and apply that to your crease. Blend it all together and you'll have a nice, natural look.

Liquid eyeliner is great for your lid, but you can draw a thin line under your lower lash line. There are many styles for top eyeliner, but if you're a beginner, just trace the line of your eye as close to your lash line as you can get. You can try winging it out, but if you don't have a steady hand, just put an index card or something similar to that next to your eye. Trace the edge of that with your eyeliner and it should give you the perfect wing.

Gel Eyeliners and pencil eyeliners are two other options. Pencils will give you more of a smudged look. These are great for your waterline, but if you want, you can smudge it under your lower lash line.

Using two mascaras will give you longer and thicker eyelashes. Try to get all the little tiny lashes in the corners if your eyes. This will really make your eyes pop.

If your eyeliner or mascara gets on your eyelid or anywhere else on your face, wet a Q-Tip and it should erase the black marks.

Blush and Lips
-----------------------
After applying lipstick, using a translucent powder on your lips will give you a matte finish.

Use a toothbrush on your lips to get rid of dead skin. This will make your lipstick appear smoother and nicer.

You can actually use a lipstick as a blush. Just make a few dots on your cheeks and blend it in. This way the color of your cheeks and lips will match.

------------------------
Thank you for reading! I hope this helped you. The next chapter will be about nails!