Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Gem Higa © 2012

“You can see her?” Karmine scanned the empty cell, her frantic voice cracking. “Where is she?” Strain and apprehension stained the vigil’s voice.

The calm and collected woman Leiv knew her to be had been temporarily washed away. There was something in the rider’s voice that seemed desperate, fearful almost, but fearful of what Leiv had no idea. Even after 17 years, it felt like the rider still seemed guilty about the late queen’s death and only accepted the vigil’s role for a chance at redemption.

“Right next to us, on my right side,” Hana replied, whispering so the guard outside wouldn’t overhear.

The rider looked up at Leiv but was unable to see anything other than the space between them and the wall, her confused expression said as much. “How is that possible? Is she alright?”

Silver eyes roamed Leiv’s body. “She seems fine. Though I’m not sure what’s happening here. It feels similar to what happened when I—“ The seer shuddered. “—was still imprisoned in the king’s dungeon.”

The dragon rider took Hana’s trembling fingers and grasped it. Overwhelming memories crossed the oracle’s face as the weight of past events brought forth emotions that were deeply hidden. While Karmine held one hand, Leiv gripped the other. Both women comforted the young girl, allowing her a moment to let those horrific events in her mind temporarily subside.

Leiv squeezed Hana’s pale hand, letting the comfort of her touch ease the girl’s worries. “Hana, I need you to listen to me. Do not let these fears overshadow the person you’ve become. These wounds are still fresh. I’m not saying they will easily be forgotten, but with time they will eventually become a thing of the past.”

Her voice quivered. “I don’t know if I can ever forget.” Her gaze moved to the far wall. Her face was unreadable, but from the silence, it seemed Hana was thinking about several things at once.

“What is she saying?” Karmine soft asked after a few quiet seconds.

The shake in Hana’s voice began to calm. “Not to be afraid. That these fears I have will only hinder me, and that I’ve come too far to turn back.”

The rider smiled, her eyes truly lighting up for the first time. “My young queen is wise for her age, and you’d do well to heed her words.” She sat down from her crouched position. “When I met you, I saw this wilting flower that was in need of proper care—“ She looked to where Leiv was kneeling. “—and I am sorry your highness for seeming like I am ignoring you, but I simply cannot see you.” Even in their current situation the rider seemed to keep the air of formality between them, allowing no room for disrespect. Turning back to Hana, she went on. “I’ve seen how much Leiv has been there for you, her acts being completely selfless, but, from what I’ve seen, you have not only grown from her love but also from your own will. Someone in your position would have broken, but you Hana, did not. You grew. Now, as far as I’m concerned your petals are blooming and all I see is a beautiful flower.”

“I agree wholeheartedly to everything,” Leiv said. “You have a bright spirit, and with that you will be able to counteract these shadows that are fighting to keep you down. You are not alone. We will never leave you. So don’t be afraid.” Her words rang true. There was no way, not even if she got sent to the underworld, would she let the innocent girl fend for herself. The world was a harsh place, and sending Hana by herself would be considered suicide.

Tears ran down Hana’s ivory face. The sadness was replaced with an overwhelming sense of love. It felt like Hana finally knew what it was like to have a family and people who truly cared for her, not as a seer, but just for being herself. “Thank you,” she said, “to the both of you.”