Welcome to the Playground (Part 1)

The skies are red and smoke-filled, dust blowing with the oceanic breeze as sparks fly. Dust cloud the surrounding area of the bridge separating the Undercity from the Topside riches; screams ringing out as guns fire, the sound of bodies falling echoing off of the bridge's structure. Blood spattered on the pavement, enforcers rush every-which-way, beating and slaughtering the poor, depressed people of Zaun. Explosions go off, killing more and more people by the second as enforcers shoot them down.

Throughout the embers and destruction, corpses can be found wherever you look. A young child with her sister cautiously makes their way through the smoke. The smaller girl is covering her eyes, her hand in her sister's as they avoid the terrors around them. Moving her hand from her face, the young girl gasps as she and her sister gaze around the area. She steps behind her sister, fear engulfing the both of them. Sharp breaths escape their mouths as the fire roars and fights are engaged. The older sister breathes heavily, squeezing her little sister's hand in reassurance.

The older sister's attention is pulled away from the horrific scenery to examine a burly man fighting an enforcer. He throws him to the ground and beats him to unconsciousness. He appears to be wearing gauntlets of some sort, blood-stained on the metal. He spots the girls, his breathing heavy. His shoulders bounce with his breaths, as his face softens a bit, his body facing them, and his feet trekking forward. The older girl pushes her sister behind her cautiously, her face worrisome.

He stands above them, his eyebrows quirked upwards as he frowns, fire blazing behind his stocky frame, contrasting the dark-red night sky drastically. His face is bruised and bloodied, his hair a mess as well as his clothes. His shoulders lower, and his fists relax, his demeanour changing entirely.

The little girls look up at him, fearful and helpless. The older girl, hope in her eyes, asks him if he's seen her mother as she glances around the area, hoping to answer her own question.

The man doesn't say anything. A look of shock enters his face for a split second before he frowns, his mouth pursing together and his eyes shutting solemnly. His head shakes slowly for a bit before he looks over to his right, his gaze refusing to stay in one place as he glances to the ground.

The girls look over to their right, the vapour in the air obscuring their view. A breeze blows some smoke away, revealing the corpse of a woman- their mother.

The younger girl looks down, holding onto her sister's arm, her face dirty and tear-stained. She looks up at her older sister who stands there, her jaw agape and her eyes glassy. She tries to control her breathing but it doesn't work, as her emotions get the better of her and she begins to sob as the realization hits her and the shock sets in. Her little sister, with tears in her eyes, hugs her arm sadly. The man looks at them, empathy washing over him as he watches their miserable display.

The older sister drops to the ground, tears falling down her cheeks and onto the charred ground, her little sister hugging her, tightly. The man looks around at the area surrounding him, his eyes wide. His gaze falls to his hands, his gauntlets bloodied and battered, and he chucks them to the ground with a thud, their impacts indenting the road.

As the chaos wails and the sky brightens to burnt orange, the man takes the teary sisters in his arms softly, carrying them to a new home in Zaun, away from the horrid display of man's violence and rage.

The older sister opens her eyes, gazing at the scene behind them all. She looks at the violence that occurred, the enforcers slowly retreating, leaving everyone they brutally killed behind them. The bridge is filled with smog as the fires begin to fade out, the area there still hot, various shades of orange and red.

She clenches her fist, her eyebrows furrowing together as she stares them down. She looks up from the horrible scene before her, revealing the rest of the city of Piltover. It's drastically different from the battled bridge, as the sky is orange, but it's calm and quiet. The buildings shimmer in the light; golds and ivory whites glistening in the sun. Her resentment to those people then and only then began and grew the longer she stared at their utopian society.

Behind them in the shadows, the older sister spots a child. They sit by a couple of corpses, their shoulders shaking as they cried, their black hair dirty and knotted as the wind blows it around. They stand up slowly, limping a bit, but when they spot the man carrying the girl and her sister, they immediately begin to run towards them with tear-filled eyes and bloodied clothes. They falter a bit, nearly falling to the ground, but they keep on in hopes that they could get help.

The older sister taps the man's shoulder, gaining his attention as he slows to a stop. Turning around, the man grunts as the child runs into him and falls to the pavement. They cough, crying as they do so, trying to explain their situation as they point to the dead couple they were perched by before.

The man looks at the corpses, sighing sadly, offering a free hand to the child and helping them up, guiding the glum children to refuge. A new home.