Chapter 2

Elide looked up at the sky in horror as the world began to darken from the shadows of great beasts flying down from the heavens. Beasts she had only glimpsed at her former prison. Beasts that yielded to her uncle, Vernon.

Elide gulped in fear as a large winged beast began swooping down towards the camp. She stumbled as a lance of fire crashed into a nearby tent, engulfing it in flames and collapsing the others around it. She screamed in terror and began to flee as more bolts of fire rained down and the beasts swarmed closer.

Other soldiers were running around and screaming. Some tried to fire their weapons, but they were woefully unprepared without their skilled leadership. The leaders that were currently off on a chase to find the demons that Elide were fairly certain were the ones chasing her through the camp grounds currently.

Suddenly, she felt large talons rake across her back and she screamed in pain as the white hot pain took hold of her. She tripped and fell to the ground. Struggling and panting as she stood up, Elide looked around and saw she was surrounded by Four winged beasts all with sharp teeth, massive wings, and greedy claws. One reached for her, only for her to stumble back into the clutches of another. She sobbed in fear as the beast lifted her up by the thin fabric of her dress. She dangled helplessly in the air as the beast held her up to examine, sniffing her.

Before she could try to escape, with a might flap of its wings, the beast took to the skies, but not before roughly cuffing Elide on the head, causing her to give into a deep dark sleep.

Lorcan leaped off his horse and sprinted into the camp grounds, which were already ravaged by the attack. His heart was beating wildly as he scanned the wreckage. Where was Elide?

Any time he came upon a demon he slashed it to bits without a second thought, still preoccupied with finding Elide. Soon he found the area where Elide had set up her tent and saw to his horror, only ash and debris. Aelin, panting, ran up behind Lorcan and said, "Chaol... he said..."

"What?" Lorcan demanded turning to the young queen. "What did he say?"

"Elide was taken. By Vernon. Lorcan we have to get her back and quickly. We don't know what he will do to her."