Chapter 11-Mina

Emmett was fascinated by Ross. He stared unashamedly at him before screaming, "He's human! Mina, you brought home a BOYFRIEND!!!". I blush profusely, and turn to hide my face in embarrassment. Ross grins and wraps his arm loosely around my shoulders. The gesture is casual, but I shiver.
For hours, Emmett relentlessly questioned Ross, determined to find out everything about this mysterious stranger. I feel awkward, like I am intruding, but I don't voice my feelings, because I haven't seen Emmett look so hopeful and curious in years. Instead, I busy myself skinning the rabbit I caught, and chopping up some wild rampion and garlic I found while foraging. I toss them in an earthenware pot which I place over the fire. As an afterthought, I mix the berries I found earlier and some apple preserves that I made the year with some of our precious honeycomb for dessert. Having a guest when the world was ending was a rare occasion, and we might as well make the most of it. But really, my mind I is on their conversation.
Ross tells what his life was like before the disease, and this I listen to intently. He says he was twelve when it happened, the same age as I, and mentions his sister, Melisande. His voice breaks when he explains to Emmett that she was gone. Whether she was actually a Gone, or dead, he didn't elaborate. He tells that after the War happened, he had went off on his own, in search of a couple of survivors.

"The way you act, you haven't seen another human in years!" He directs at me, joking as always.

"I haven't." I reply, still slightly surprised at being invited to join the conversation.

Stunned, he remarks, " You haven't heard of the Colony?"