Chapter 14- Mina

She hadn't known what to think of the stranger.

At first, he had seemed like a clown and rather shallow. She had wondered how he of all people had survived the catastrophic events. But then, she glimpsed something in him, and now she was uncertain of her first opinion. The Sugar Twists helped, of course.

They used to be her favorite. Back in the old days, as Emmett put it, she could gorge herself on the gelatin sticks of pure sugar. It was her routine, every Tuesday in her small town of Belington, to walk down to the hardware store with her father, and they would have a shopping spree. He would browse for tools and equipment he needed for his job. She would search for Sugar Twists. Of course, those days were long gone.

I took another bite, relishing the sugary, sweet taste of my last piece.

"Mmmm. This is amazing!" Mina exclaimed.

"I love it Sissy. Can I have more?" Emmett politely pleaded, and I was painfully aware of his ribs jutting out. Tenderly, I gave my remaining bit to him. His face lit up, and he demolished it in half a second. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Thank you." I said, directing my attention to Ross.

He looked purely astonished I had acknowledged him. It seemed like a pleasant surprise for him.

"The best part was seeing yours, and Emmett's, grins. Thank you." He replied, bending down and courteously kissing my hand, like in olden days.

I ran my finger over the spot he made, but I didn't rub it off.