Chapter 1: The Beginning

I was on my computer one day playing Genshin Impact. Mihoyo recently released a new event, so I had a chance to get Xiao. Naturally, I was ecstatic. But before I finish beating the final boss,

"Y/nnn come downstairs for me." "Fineee mom." I sigh, pausing the game. Why does mother have to deadname me all the time?

Sometimes I just wish she understood me. I go downstairs to see a letter waiting for me.

"C'mon dear, open it! I've been waiting all day. It's from Gettysburg, you've always wanted to go there, haven't you?" Seeing how excited mother is, I get a bit tense. What if they don't accept me? I've worked so hard to earn those scholarships and worked 2 part time jobs just trying to afford it. If I can't, then everything I've worked hard for will go to waste. I don't want to let her down. "M-mom I can't, I'm nervous." "Aw sweetie, it's going to be ok, I'm sure of it. I know how hard you worked, and I'm positive they see it too."

She puts her arm around me and hands me the letter. I guess I'm really doing this, huh. Taking a deep breath, I open the letter: 

Dear Y/n,

Thank you for applying to Gettysburg College. After thorough consideration, the committee of administration regrets to inform you that we are unable to offer you a place in our first-year class.

We thank you once again for your interest in Gettysburg College and wish you success for all your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Office of Administrations: Gettysburg College. 

I crumple and throw the letter tossing it to the trash can. Tears start flowing down my face. "M-om mom I'm really sorry. I- I didn't mean to dissapoi-'' Suddenly I feel arms surround and embrace me. "Sweetie, it's ok. I told you everything is going to be fine. Sure, this has been a step down, but progress is progress. Life is full of rejections, and no matter how hard it is, you have to learn to keep going. Not saying it's going to be easy, nor that your path will be clear. But you have people like me who will be by your side and stick to you thick and thin. We will help guide you to your path. Reach for the stars, and never look back. Keep going. Because at the end of the day, your progress is progress, and you should be proud of it."

.
.

"Thank you, mom."