Six Long Months

"Sian, Dr Kennedy will see you now," the young, petite receptionist stood in front of her, ready to escort her to the office. She was new but she seemed nice.

Sian stood, pushing her over the body handbag to the side, where it sat on her hip. As she followed the receptionist, she pushed her now shorter hair behind her ear. It tickled the back of her neck where it ended, a feeling she was still getting used to.

As usual, Dr Kennedy, or Sarah, which she often had to remind Sian to call her, was waiting with a smile. Sian had been worried when she finally forced herself back into Dr Kennedy's care. She'd taken her back on as a patient only weeks before she disappeared on her again but Sarah was just glad she was okay.

Dr Kennedy allowed Sian to get comfy and settle herself in before beginning to ask about her week. Which had been uneventful, except for the haircut. Sarah complimented it, saying it suited her, and asked if she felt it was more practical for work.

"So last week," the doctor began, "we started the lead up to Christmas, your last visit here before then and you said you thought you were ready to talk about Christmas and what followed."

Sian nodded and agreed quietly, already feeling an uncomfortable constriction in her chest.

"We don't need to rush," Dr Kennedy could see her anxiety already, "we set this at your pace, remember?"

"I think six months...well, it's not really a rush is it?" Sian asked.

"It's different for everyone," she reassured Sian, as she sat back in her chair and pushed her wide rimmed glasses higher up her nose.

"I don't want to waste anymore time. You know I'm 30 now...and well, it suddenly feels like time is ticking away. My mom died when she was 58...something my dad keeps reminding me about," Sian paused on that thought, "30 more years, if I'm lucky."

"Or it could be 70 more years...many people who have lost loved ones struggle with their mortality. It's common. It sort of sets us in a race against time, which can make anxieties worse as we then tend to pressure ourselves to reach goals at a certain point."

"I suppose...I just don't want to keep holding myself back. I want to talk about it. I'm ready. Honestly." She smiled nervously at Sarah, and rubbed the palms of her hands over her jeans. It was getting hotter by the day.

"Okay," nodded the doctor, ready to listen, "so where do you want to begin?"

"Christmas Eve."

6 months earlier.

There was a sombre atmosphere in the back of La Croix when Sian rushed back in 5 minutes late. Her absence had gone unnoticed though, as most of her colleague's heads were down, appearing focussed on their tasks.

She had no time to concern herself with the atmosphere though, as Andre shoved a tray in her hands, whilst making a comment on her tardy nature. Which was rich coming from him, but she bit her tongue and continued on, feeling it best not to start an argument at that precise moment. The work would be a good distraction from her "lunch break" anyway.

The rush of orders coming through and her efforts to stay out Andre's path did distract her. Distracted her for many hours, until Jimmy dropped a plate, smashing it in front of the kitchen audience.

Andre blew. "You stupid boy, get that cleaned up. Now. I don't want to see one little piece left, do you understand me? Or you'll be gone just like your idiotic friend."

At this, Sian looked to Jimmy. She hadn't wanted to make eye contact with him when he was being berated, like it wasn't embarrassing enough for him. His eyes seemed to fill with tears but he quickly dropped to the floor and started collecting the remnants of China that once formed a plate.