part VI

Lisa is gone.

The Captain is missing.

The Captain's wife and daughter are dead.

My wife is worried out of her mind.

My head is spinning as I take another sip of whiskey in the empty precinct, lit up with the moonlight.

"Mate, I'll help you solve this case." Juilian says as he rubs my shoulder.

I look down and appreciate his comment but I don't say so. He gets up and brings the dreaded yellow file out from the captain's office, that has been surrounded by a few bunches of flowers. I look at the lilies and chrysanthemums and notice how they imitate the bright colour of my daughter's bed covers. Nobody knows the truth of what happened. I didn't say a word.

I turn away, and check my phone as it buzzes.

Francesca
Hey, how's it going at the station baby?

I text back everything is fine, just as Julian opens the envelope, containing the graphic image from 1976. He almost pukes from the amount of blood and throws it on the ground.

"I know," I say as I pick it up and neatly place it back on the table.

All of a sudden I'm spilling the story about how the captain actually went missing. Julian sits there open mouthed while I hold back tears. I expect him to ask questions, but all he does is form a fist and smacks the table.

"Why the hell didn't you take any photos you idiot!" he yells.

"You bloody fool! We could track this guy if you didn't run like a child!" You are a cop! Get your crap together, Marcus!" Julian screams.

He throws himself back in his chair and I sit there paralysed by his outrage.

I try to speak, but the words just don't come. I have never seen Julian like this. He pushes himself away on his chair, and as the black, plastic wheels screech on the linoleum floor, I look up to the sound of the door opening.

I see him standing there, in his uniform. He has blood dripping from his head, and dried up blood cracking on his nose. He shoots me a look and Julian turns around. I see a million emotions cross his face. His gun is no longer strapped to his waist. The leather boots he wears are scratched and torn, as is his navy blue outfit.

It's all I can do to stand up and run over, and it's just in time.

Because that's the exact moment Captain Cage collapses in my arms.