part VII

NOTE
hey guys sorry for the wait! I've been on holiday and I've been busy, but I'm flying home soon and then I should update regularly 😊
Hope you enjoy!

My heartbeat rings in my ears and my eyes blur.

"Call 911! Call them!"

I see Julian run for the phone as my hands feel the Captain's throat. He has a pulse.

I drag his face close to mine as I her Julian in the background giving them the police precinct's address.

I slap Captain Cage's cheek lightly, but he doesn't respond. With each slap I use more force.

"Wake up!" I scream as I see my tear fall on his forehead. I hear sirens from the street below and feel relieved.

Several people in bright orange suits run through the door. Everything is slowing down. One woman pushes me out of the way and tells me to go away.

I go to Julian and I stumble into his arms.

"It's okay, it's okay." he whispers.

The paramedics put the Captain onto a stretcher, and they start to carry him downstairs.

Julian follows them. He waves a hand at me telling me to come. I shake my head and let him go.

I wipe my eyes with my shaky hands. This is all my fault. I sit down. This is all my fault. I take off my jacket. This is all my fault.

If I hadn't let him go, if I hadn't let him go at the crime scene. He would be standing here with me now. I gather myself as I change my mind. I run down the stairs hoping to catch up with Julian.

The ambulance is just about to leave, as I throw myself against the door, banging at the window. I flash my ID and the let me in.

I sit with the Captain hoping everything will be okay. His eyes are shut, and a mask over his mouth making him breath. The time ticks away so slowly, like it doesn't exist.

The hospital is within sight. My eyes are wide as the paramedics park the car and pull open the back doors, and drag his stretcher out.

Julian and I follow closely behind, as we rush through the hospital, with doctors asking for information about Cage.

He is wheeled into a room in the ICU. The paramedics leave the doctors to look over him. They frantically inject him with an IV, and I see a clear liquid getting pumped into him.

The doctors strip him and feel for broken bones and fractures. When they are satisfied with their observations, a man comes over to us.

"We've done a diagnosis, and we confirmed that Lucas Cage is in a coma." he says.

"One of you is welcome to stay the night with him, or you can call a family member or friend."

"I'll stay." Julian says.

The doctor leaves, and I look at Julian.

"You've got Francesca, and Lis-. Sorry. Go home." he hugs me and I thank him.

I get the first taxi I see to take me home. Francesca texts me.

Francesca
Hey you're not gonna believe it. Lisa turned up home, came immediately. She was crying, said she got lost. I've given her a pep talk. Don't talk to her about it. She's okay, apart from a few bruises. xx

I should be crying, but all I can think about is the Captain.

The taxi stops at my house, and I see my girls run to the taxi. I get out and pick up Lisa and hug her.

"What happened?" I ask Fran, when I let her down.

"Just wandered off. Said she went on an adventure." I hug Fran and that's when the tears flow.

"The Captain is dying." I whisper. She pulls back and looks at me with hurt in her eyes.

She doesn't say anything. She doesn't ask. She just picks up Lisa and drags me inside by my hand.