1

I winced when the nurse stuck the sterile swab deep into my nose. It was quite uncomfortable and i immediately felt a burning sensation. After she counted down from 10, she removed it quickly.

"Thank you very much, most people don't do well with these tests."

I blinked away tears from the pressure and burning feeling, "I understand why. Do you have to do both sides?"

"Nope! That was sufficient enough. Luckily, the lab will use this same swab to test for the Flu and COVID."

I sighed with peace knowing that was it. I nodded my head and pulled my mask back over my nose.

She opened the door and stuck one for it before turning back towards me, "Someone will be back in here soon with your discharge papers."

"Thank you." I focused my attention to my phone once she stepped out of the exam room.

I resumed the music from my Spotify app through my AirPods then switched to my Instagram and scrolled briefly.

After having symptoms for two weeks, I decided now was a good time to be seen at urgent care when I woke up this morning with the same horrible headache I fell asleep with. My symptoms went away before Christmas and right after, a cough and this major migraine returned.

Even after a negative Rapid test, I wasn't quite sure if it was a bad sinus infection anymore.

After about 10 more minutes, I left urgent care with a prescription, visit notes and promises to call with results if anything came back positive.

I got in the car and made a mental note of the errands I needed to run before going back home.

I need to get my prescriptions, return my textbook, pick up some toothbrushes and I need groceries for the next few days...

My thoughts were interrupted by a phone call from my best friend, Abri.

"Yes ma'am?" I greeted her once the FaceTime connected.

"What the doctor said?"

"I was prescribed nasal spray, ibuprofen and cough medicine. I just have to wait for my results now."

She smirked slightly, "I been told yo' ass to get that test before now."

"Girl, shut the fuck up!" I said in my Caresha voice. "Damn, the rapid been negative. I genuinely thought I was good."

"Uh huh. Well what'chu gon' do if it is positive?"

"I don't know, let everyone who I came in contact with know what's going on and just quarantine from there."

She nodded her head as the line went silent.

I had these same symptoms on Halloween so my hesitation to get tested sooner was a combination of my work schedule, the holiday season, and knowing all the urgent cares and doctor offices were already packed.

"Well there goes our New Years plans."

I laughed, "Girl, I'm saying!" I checked the time on my phone, a quarter to 11AM. "I got some errands to run so let me get this out the way and I'll call you later on this afternoon."

"Ight chy, feel better."

I smiled at her as the call ended. I connected my phone to the Bluetooth and continued playing my Durk playlist.

—————

I unlocked the door to my apartment and walked inside, kicking the door closed behind me. The warmth of Vanilla Bean excited my senses as I walked to my kitchen. It wasn't until after I put all my groceries up that I noticed my dog didn't greet me with jumps and licks when I came inside.

I shrugged, it was the late afternoon so I figured she must be having a nap. I brought my prescriptions along with a bottle of water to my living room, I sat on my white velvet sectional and kicked my sneakers off before sitting down. I opened all my perceptions, reading through each carefully along with the visit notes.

Spray nasal spray into each nostril twice daily.
Take benzonatate three times daily as needed for cough.
If flu test is positive, tamiflu prescription will be pushed through for you to pick up.

I placed everything down and picked up my Roku remote. I went to YouTube and put on a Summer Walker shuffle as it was too quiet for me. I glanced out to my balcony and stood up to walk out towards it.

It was pretty gloomy today, matching my mood, I guess. Even my socks read "fuck off" on each foot. I stared at the turf grass for a moment when I noticed there was no dog waste on it.

I scrunched my nose a bit as I walked back inside and picked up the cough medicine and water bottle. I opened the tops on both, threw one pill back and chased it down with water.

I paused YouTube for a moment and called out for my dog.

"Pebbles?"

I checked the her food bowl in my kitchen which remained untouched from when I filled it this morning.

"Pebbles!"

I had hard wood flooring throughout my apartment and I didn't even hear her nails on the floor. I walked into my bedroom and checked underneath the comforter. Again, nothing.

I turned to my bathroom and rolled my eyes when I noticed her in the reflection of the mirror lying down in my walk-in shower.

"Girl, Pebbles, I know you heard me, come here."

I walked further into my bathroom and closer to where she was.

"What the fuck!"

My adrenaline began to rush when I noticed the wet green and red substance my dog was lying in. My legs fell weak and my hands shook as I crouched down and began shaking her.

"Pebbles! Pebbles!" I shouted. I rested my hands for a moment and I could feel her breathing very shallowly.

My eyes filled with tears as I immediately ran to my living room. I grabbed only my phone, purse and keys. I slipped on some house slippers and ran back to the bathroom.

I picked her up and carried my baby out the door and when I reached my car, I GPS'd the nearest animal clinic.

Tears constantly blurred my vision as I drove no matter how much I wiped them away. In between checking her and her breathing every few seconds, I felt powerless.

Once outside of the clinic, I got us both out and held her closely as I ran inside.

"Please! She's barely breathing, please help me!" I screamed as the receptionist stood up.

"Orion!" She yelled as she came from around the desk. My arms and hands shook violently as she reached and took Pebbles from my arms. A man in scrubs came running from the door behind her desk.

"What's going on out here?!" The man yelled.

"She is not breathing! Please!" I screamed.

He held open the door as she ran back around towards her desk and through the doors.

"I'll be right back ma'am." He said before disappearing behind the door with my baby.

I turned to my left and it wasn't until then that I looked around and noticed eyes from all directions looking back at me. I quickly found a seat, wiped my tears and waited for them to return.