King in Disguise

Summary: What if Nolan was pulling the strings all along?

Sarah's and Hartley's kiss drew their carefully thought-out plan to a close. Nolan made the realization right as they locked lips, letting loose a massive shout of WTF.

They stared at him, smirking.

His eyes were wide. Everything had fallen into place. But then Nolan started laughing, and it wasn't just laughing like it was a funny joke, it was full-on evil laughter.

Hartley sent a look to Sarah. This wasn't expected. They hadn't calculated that.

Booth finally looked up, his eyes shining with tears as he gripped the egg tighter. "Wow, that was a good one. I've been waiting a while to let this out. Ah, laughter is the best medicine." He continued to chuckle as Sarah and John stood there, surprised. "Please, you think I didn't know?" His smiled turned wicked. "There are two bishops in chess and a whole lot of pawns. Here's the thing, Bishops." He stepped closer, holding out the egg a mere two inches from their faces. They tried to go for it, but he sidestepped, his hand moving at incredible speed. "Bishops can be manipulated, not as easily as a pawn, but it doesn't take a criminal mastermind."

"How did you know?" Sarah demanded, her hand inching towards her gun.

Booth looked at her, a glint sparkling in his eyes that seemed to spiral into a kaleidscope. "Easy, because I set this up. Good old fashion hard work and strategy. It's a good." His humor was more twisted than before, his face was serious. A sound of a helicopter and Agent Das approaching could be heard. "I've been planning this for awhile."

Sarah pulled out her gun, aiming at him. "Bet you weren't expecting this! Give us the egg, Nolan."

Booth chuckled again, holding up the cartridge of bullets, flicking them away into the water. "But I did, besides that gun is waterlogged and fake." He spread his arms, smiling even wider. "Boo-yah. Also, this egg?" He said. He turned around and tossed it into the water. The egg started to bubble, disintergating in the water. "I made it. Great amount of time it took." He breathed out. "Wow, I really need to work out more, maybe some more sit-ups?" He turned around for a moment, his hand touching his waist before he whipped back around. Two guns were held in his hands, and the sound of a helicopter getting closer.

"Is that Das?" Hartley asked.

"Nope," Booth said, shaking his head as he stepped forward again. The helicopter was only twenty feet away from them, blowing strong wind through their hair. "That's my ride. Pretty cool, huh? Unfortunately, I need to go, so...I'll see you both soon."

Hartley tried to move, but Booth just pointed the gun at Sarah.

"I'd think your love-making requires brains, Hartley," Booth joked. "I mean, there's her looks, but her brain is better."

Hartley stopped moving.

"That's a good boy," Booth cooed, holstering one of his guns. He checked his watch. "Das is late by about three seconds, hopefully, she doesn't send you to her Instagram account." He bowed. "See you around. Have fun! Give me a call when you get out." He turned around and ran to the helicopter, climbing on.

Hartley and Sarah looked at each other, watching as the helicopter flew away, Booth striding in it.

"I do not even know," John said as they leaned against each other. "I don't know how he did all of this."

Right at that moment, Inspector Das pulled up. "Out of friends, you two?"

Six months had passed since the strange ending to their interesting partnership with Nolan Booth.