Chapter 29: Château du Rosier

Home.

The Rosier's familial home.

Okay, so Colette wouldn't necessarily call it "a home" with its expansive lands (twenty-five acres to be exact, but who was counting), vineyards, ponds, pools, olive groves, lavender fields, rolling hills, and private apartments.

But the eighteenth-century French Château was theirs, gifted to Falloux Rosier by Louis XIV in 1701.

Located in Angers, Maine-et-Lorie, Loire Valley, France, it was smaller than most of the Pureblooded manors in England. But Felix and Cressida never wanted to move from the Rosier ancestral home after Felix's brother—Evan Rosier I—unexpectedly passed. Eventually, it would be passed down to their eldest son, Bastien, but he was rebellious, and the thought of settling down with some Pureblooded witch sent feverish hives over his skin. Colette couldn't blame him. The twenty-six-year-old was far from responsible, spending most of his free time in their family's private apartments in Paris, and when he wasn't there, he could always be found with Rabastan Lestrange and Otto Avery.

The iron gate parted, glinting with the protective wards placed around the property.

Not that her parents were secretive by any means. Actually, they were extremely open and didn't shy away like most of her friend's parents did when it came to Muggles. The house was still plotable on a map, but no one ever came sniffing around this close (even if they were in wine country). They couldn't risk being exposed, and French laws were a bit more extreme than the ones found at the Ministry in London.

It was normal, though—to have wards. Every family had them. The Blacks at Grimmuald. The Lestranges. The Malfoys with their blood wards on their manor in Wiltshire, England. One that only those with 'Pure Blood' could enter. Like father like son, and now Lucius resided over the Malfoy seat after Abraxas' passing.

She thought it was stupid. Half of the Purebloods, who claimed that they were actually 'Pure Blood,' were nothing but half-bloods at this point.

The pair traveled down the long gravel path, lined with curving oak trees, that seemed to rustle with the passing zephyr. Above, the sun blazed, leaving no trace of a white cloud in the sky, illuminating their path through the tunnel of oaks. She always enjoyed their home when it was like this. The winter months could become so undeniably cruel that a little bit of warmth could highlight the Neo-Gothic architecture.

"Home sweet home," Evan muttered, taking in a long breath of French countryside air. "Merlin, I missed this place. Hogwarts can be so stuffy sometimes. Do you ever feel that way?"

She only nodded. After their conversation on the train, she still felt that perpetual unease every time she stole a glance at her brother. They will get what's coming for them.

The Romanesque style Château peeked out from beyond the winding trees, revealing the gargantuan home. Shaped in a U-like formation with a courtyard in the center, the entire facade was done in pure Loire stone. In the center of the gravel drive was a circular grassy patch (faded to brown in the winter months) and a large yew tree, offering some shade to the rest of the drive. The three-story Château was marvelous with its towering windows, carved stone gargoyles, and turrets. France—unlike the Scottish Highlands—had yet to receive the first snowfall, which allowed for the dark-colored roof to gleam brightly in the mid-day.

Home.

An arched two-sided staircase greeted them at the large, double mahogany entry doors where their mother stood, waiting for them.

"Felix, dear! They are here!" Cressida sang. Her long, slender hands outstretched towards Evan and Colette in greeting. "Regardez vous tous les deux! Si beaux, mes enfants!"