Air

Trial and error must be a frustrating way to teach, Natalia decided as she examined the various signs of agitation in her Masters.

For Natalia, it was fascinating to watch each Master puzzle through the problem after each failed lesson. The brilliance surrounding her was astonishing. Over the past month, Natalia and Raja quickly forced their Masters to adjust all of their teachings. Watching the process created a giddiness in her Natalia hadn't felt since her days in the academy. At that time, she hadn't realized the exceptionalism around her. It had been normal to her then. Ten years of life with priests and priestesses too afraid to show their intelligence and soldiers who disdained all learning outside of warfare had clarified the difference between average and excellence.

Natalia sat quietly with Persephone for today's failed lesson and watched the Tribal woman lift and lower stones with the wind. They had been working on this skill for a few days. And yet, Natalia still found it challenging to use Air for such small tasks. She mastered Wind Walking and could call Air to her quickly. Yet, learning these minor manipulations of the elements proved difficult. Luckily, patience was something Natalia and Persephone both had in plenty. It was good that it was an Air skill that escaped her and not Fire or Earth. Those Masters were not nearly as tolerant. Persephone touched Natalia's leg gently, reminding her to concentrate again on the task at hand. Natalia frowned and listened as Persephone walked through the steps differently. Natalia did not allow herself to wonder again at the Tribal woman's ability to direct what Natalia could read of her mind with a touch.

Mara worked with Raja, who had less difficulty with this lesson, far enough away not to have meshing of their magic. Mara was another who held less understanding of Natalia's failures. Air and Fire magic came so naturally to Mara and, usually, to Raja and Natalia that the woman dissatisfaction with any deficiency in her students was much more evident. Mara was not, by nature, a good teacher for those who needed more detailed and basic instruction. None of her Masters could be accused of that. They would not be who the Councils would choose to instruct the rawest apprentices. But that is not what Natalia and Raja were. Their skills could not truly be classified apprentice level.

Another touch brought Natalia back to Persephone's instruction.

"Perhaps," a new voice sounded in the courtyard where all the Air classes were held. "A different perspective is needed." Persephone allowed the rocks to lower and directed her smile at the voice. She nodded at Natalia, who waited impatiently for this permission from her Master. Natalia turned her head and mind to the young man who had spoken.

The first thing she noticed was his height. He was tall, taller than Raja and Master Paulo but with a much thinner frame than both. His brown hair was not short, but not long either. Like many Air's friends, his curly locks moved as if he were standing in the wind. His eyes caught her attention the most; they were the same blue as Air and held much of the brother's mischief. The smile that danced on the man's lips could have been a sneer or smirk if his eyes hadn't born such mirth. His blue robes announced him as a Journeyman of Air. He was, she thought, at least ten years her junior, but she could feel the strength in him. His power was like Jordan's, so solid it was like a wall. And his mind was just as well protected, but not of his own making. Diddero had met with him first. Natalia could feel the Barrier master's gentle touch strengthening the young journeyman's internal barriers.

"Ah, Vin, you have arrived." Persephone stood to welcome the jovial young man, relief leaked into her words. Mara had also stopped her instruction but remained silent. The Elemental Mage kept her expression neutral as she looked at the young man. The Wind Witch had no such reserve. She put her arm over the young man's shoulders and squeezed him with affection. "It is good to see you again."