Melody for a Struggling Soul

Rope creaking and the darkness which consumes everything. An endless night, brimming with the sight of darkness as the stars twinkle out of existence one by one, and the moon begins to hid behind a curtain of black clouds mourning, surroundings that seem all too familiar to me. I was born on a night like tonight, and ever since then, these nights have always transpired to signal tragedy for me, and tonight is no different. I contacted the nurses as soon as my tears had stopped, but the sympathy in their eyes showed that my emotions were still exposed to the world, how could they not be after hearing Nicht’s story. I wish I had talked to him sooner. I want to talk to them. I want them to know all about me. I want this starless night to be spent with them. I want to know your favourite colours, your little quirks, the small things that you would never share. Nicht, why did you wait in the shadows for me. Come back to this world, if not to here then come to me and free my soul with your friendship. I knew you for so little time and yet I wish I had known you for centuries, I wish I could have healed your wounds.

*

Standing by the piano, Sol did nothing but stare out into the endless night as memories of her youth came back, memories she would much rather not have. On a night like tonight, 10 years ago, the only family she ever had were lynched by a flash mob and she was sent to an orphanage. She was only adopted for a year by the young couple, a tall dark woman in her early 30s and another similar looking woman, with a piercing in her lower lip and a stripe of blonde in her hair, but to her they were the only family she wished that she ever had.

*

It was a dark starless night, much like tonight. I remember the setting as my two mothers went on about their business. They were the kindest, most considerate parents I have ever had, and I lost them within a year. They adopted me after I was left at on orphanage. My mother died when she gave birth to me and with no one to accept having any relation with her, I was sent to an orphanage. For a year, my two mothers granted me the best experience of my life, maybe that’s why I wanted Nicht back, they reminded me of how my mother’s spoke to me… gentle and kind, a relaxing tone that made me feel welcome, but like all good things, they are crushed and pulverised until not a drop remains. On my unlucky night, I was asleep as a light at my window, and the banging downstairs woke me up. Within seconds, I heard my mothers screaming for help, but running downstairs all I found was 2 men, grins smug and dicks hanging from between their legs, raping them, whilst I could do nothing. I saw it all from the staircase before another person grabbed me from behind and held my mouth shut as I watched in abject horror. I was forced to endure it all as I was dragged outside with my parents. They hung them from a tree before setting it on fire and laughing. I was the only person in the crowd crying my eyes out.

*

Sol sits at the piano once more, closing her eyes as tears began to roll down her cheeks again, but she didn’t care. She wanted to sing her emotions away and she didn’t care if the shield around her was breaking away, nor did she care if the entire school saw the rebel of the academy crying. She wanted Nicht back. She wanted her parents back, and so with raw emotion, the keys and words blended into the night air.

Starless night of growing death

Take me by the hand tonight

With every aching breath

Please hear the extent of my plight

Burning flesh and poisoned tongues

Find them peace among the clouds

And bring me peace through endless light

The tears kept coming throughout the night as the music stopped, replaced only by Sol’s sombre sobbing.

*

It’s been 20 days. Ever since that starless night, I have dropped into despair. Nicht, how are things where you are. I hope you can hear me; I always want to talk to you whenever I can, but it seems I never get a reply. Say hi to my old folks, I’m sure they are quite comfortable up there; it has been ten years after all. Don’t worry about me though; I will keep in touch one way or another, no matter what I will always be with you.

*

That same day, when an eerie silence filled the sky when no star dared to interrupt its presence and the moon hid from sight. A restless 20 days since Nicht died, but the stench of rotten flesh still filled the room as a clock kept moving regardless of the scene in front of it. Sol was hanging from the ceiling with blood down her mouth. Rope creaking and a darkness that consumed everything, even the souls of those lost.