07

Changbin felt awful. His body ached and he had nausea. And Jisung? He didn't care about him, did he? They hadn't spoken much since that one night. Changbin himself didn't come out of his room often. He simply laid curled under piles of covers occasionally getting up to throw up.

Even the housemaker showed her concern despite her aloof persona. Changbin felt sorry for the kind woman, who always left plates with delicious food in front of his door and had to throw it almost all away because he rarely had an appetite.

That morning, Changbin decided to go downstairs to eat breakfast. He was still a little nauseous and weak but didn't want to worry the housemaker further.

The boy got up and entered his en-suite bathroom. After taking a quick hot shower he put on, what he believed was Jisung's, black hoodie and matching sweatpants. It fit him big, making his small silhouette disappear under the material of the two articles. He blow-dried his dark locks and brushed them.

Looking in the mirror, he stared at the thin metal piece around his neck. Was he really just an object to Jisung? He dabbed the tears that had welled up in his eyes with the hoodie paws and adjusted it higher, so the collar was not visible.

When he entered the kitchen where the housemaker was preparing a Korean-style breakfast, he halted his steps awkwardly not really knowing what to do. The woman seemed too immersed in her task to notice his presence too.

"Good morning," Changbin greeted in a small voice. The housemaker turned around immediately with a surprised expression, which soon turned into something between relief and glee.

"Young master, good morning. Would you like something particular for breakfast?"

Changbin shook his head with a small smile. "I'm fine with whatever you prepared. It smells nice."

Still stunned, she blinked only to nod briskly a moment later.

[...]

Jisung came back home late as always. With the puppy curled in his arms, he entered the house quietly. He had a dog carrier but the white bundle wept and whimpered when he tried to lay it in there.

The man slipped his shoes off and proceeded upstairs. A bitter laugh got stuck in his lungs at the thought of how it was a routine for him to come back so late and avoid the older. Yes, he was a coward.

He knew that it would be better if he let Changbin go. He wished he could. Changbin was no pet or object to him. He had to buy him otherwise he would be in great danger. It was the same reason why he kept him by his side and why he had put the collar around his neck in the first place. It was a tracking device. He did trust Changbin but he didn't trust Hwang and he knew that he had to keep the older away from him at all cost.

Jisung adjusted the lightly snoring puppy in his arms and slipped inside Changbin's room - another routine of his. He was a coward but he still cared for the older and made it his habit to check on him in the night.

Sometimes, Changbin would call his name in the deep slumber and seek his warmth and then calm down only after the younger had whispered sweet nothings in his ear or held his hand. He doubted the older remembered it though.

Maybe it was for the best. Perhaps it was better he hated Jisung than knew the truth. He had failed him a long time before when he left without a word. It was only fair the older despised him.

With a heavy heart, the man scrutinized the sleeping figure. The small light from the crescent moon high up the night sky enabled him to see a little clearer in the darkness of the room. Changbin was thin but less pale than he was the night before.

From Mrs. Park - the housemaker - he knew that the older rarely ate. It worried him, so he listed every dish Changbin liked and asked her to prepare it. He even instructed her to mix vitamins into his water or juice. Bit by bit, Changbin began to eat at least a little more or frequently. It was tiny progress but at least his complexion started to get better.

Jisung fixed the duvet on top of the older and gently put the soundly sleeping white bundle by his side. To his surprise, the puppy yawned, wobbled on its tiny legs with barely open eyes, and snuggled against his chest. Changbin's arms instantly embraced the little one.

A small smile crept on Jisung's face. He wished he could keep him safe forever.

×+×+×+×+×+×+×+×

Hi, hello! 🖤

It's been a while. Thank you for being patient. As always, thanks for reading and supporting my book.

I changed the title to the one I originally planned to call the book. I hope it didn't confuse you.

Have a lovely day/night. 🎱