Amara IV: The Secret Kingdom

Marx had trained me all weekend. Teaching me about all of the supernatural beings out there, and what he knew about them. He taught me about how there were modern vampires that had adjusted to be stronger and able to walk in sunlight, go undetected, live off animal blood, etc. He wanted to train me how to fight that week, because my ankle was feeling better that day.

He talked about his family a little bit, but not much. Just that he raised Aksel due to his mother passing away and his father not being able to raise him. The thought of Marx being a single father was sad, but he said it helped him become who he was.

My coven always looked at vampires as enemies. I never thought I would be friends with one.

As he spoke, I wrote down everything in a journal. I called it "The Secret Kingdom." There was a small lock on it, just in case. I also kept it in my room, hidden in a bag in one of my locked drawers.

Sunday morning he was teaching me how he researches cases and what he looks for. I sat on my bed with my laptop while he sat in my desk chair, one leg crossing the other. He was just reading a book, waiting for me to ask any questions while I researched. It felt like a private tutoring session.

Suddenly the door swung open and Harley came in with her duffel bag, ready to spill some tea. "Mara! You're never gonna guess what I just saw!" She stopped and froze when she saw Marx.

He kept his head down, reading as if nothing was happening. "What happened?" I tried to get her to focus only on me.

"Uhhhh..." Her eyes darted back and forth from me to Marx.

"He's helping me with a paper." Some lame bullshit excuse escaped my mouth.

"Oh. Okay." She slowly walked to her side of the room and dropped her duffel bag on the floor. "This is the second Blake I've seen in the girl's dorms today then."

"What?" As shocked as I was, I remembered Marx was right there and probably wouldn't like us gossiping about his family. "I mean..."

"I guess the Blakes are big readers, huh?" She winked at me. What was that supposed to mean? Before I could say anything she smiled big. "I won't spill. I promise."

"What..."

"I gotta go meet up with the girls, but I'll see you later!" And just like that, she was leaving as fast as she arrived.

I was stunned. She was most definitely going to "spill" whatever she thought was going on. I looked over at Marx, who was in the same posotion. "Why didn't you say anything?"

He looked up at me with his eyes. "About what?"

I scoffed. "She's going to go tell people!"

"What's wrong with that?" He kept reading.

"What...well..." Truth was there wasn't anything wrong with us hanging out. However, I knew she misunderstood. "Everyone is going to think we're...together."

"Let them think what they want." He was so nonchalant, while I silently freaked out.

"What if you're not allowed to date students?"

"Not possible. I'm a student, too. Besides, we're not dating." He was a really good multitasker, as he still read while holding our conversation.

"People are gonna talk..."

"Amara." He finally closed his book and looked at me. "Who cares?"

"Who cares? I do!"

"They're opinions of you only affect you if you let them. They have nothing to do with you. Let them talk. It'll blow over soon enough anyway." He stood up and set down the book on my desk. "Do you want breakfast?"

I sighed, letting go of whatever frustration I had built up. "Yep." I turned my laptop off and slipped on my shoes, following him out the door. "But you're paying!"