Marx III: Secrets Unveiled

Mara wanted to spend time with her grandmother on her birthday, so she went home Saturday night. It felt empty without Mara with us in the mornings. We...or I...had gotten so comfortable with her always being there.

By Sunday evening we had everything prepared for Mara's party. Patty was free, and she invited Kurt, too. Aksel and Jean decorated while Thorn and Rae cooked. They all helped me so that I could spend more time with Mara.

I patiently waited for her, reading a book in the library.

Interrupting me was a knock at the open door. Mara. She smiled and walked over to me. "You're not supposed to be here yet." The surprise part of her party was surely ruined.

She sat on my lap and I rested my arm on hers. "I wanted to see you already."

"Do you want to wait for your present?"

She grew excited immediately. "You got me something?"

"That's usually what happens when it's your birthday."

"But you already gave me something." I gave her myself.

"You can get it later?"

"No! I want it!" She closed her eyes and held out her hands.

I reached into the desk drawer and placed a box in her palms. "It's ready."

She opened her eyes and looked at me then the box. Slowly she pulled the pink ribbon and undid the bow, then slipped the top of the box off. Her eyes grew big and her mouth popped open.

"Do you like it? I asked for help." She had a blank face still. "We can exchange it or-"

"No!" Her arms wrapped around me and squeezed. "This is the prettiest thing I've ever seen!"

 "This is the prettiest thing I've ever seen!"

I smiled from her shoulder and hugged her back. "Do you want me to put it on you?" She pulled back and nodded quickly. I lifted the small moon necklace from its box and placed it around her neck as she held her hair up. "There."

She admired it sitting on her chest. "Thank you."

"We should go outside now. Everyone will want to see you, too."

She grabbed my face with both hands, a familiar feeling, and kissed me softly. She then hopped off of me and waited at the door. "Coming?"

I followed behind her to the side door off of the kitchen. She wrapped her pinky finger around mine without saying a word. We hadn't told anyone that we were together yet, it was still new and we hadn't talked about it. It made me nervous and excited all at the same time.

As we sat with everyone, talking and laughing around the bonfire, I felt the most peace I had ever felt since Aksel was little. This time I was a new person. I had feelings and emotions. I could enjoy my time with my loved ones and make them happy as well.