Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Harry's point of view

Harry tried to breathe evenly as they ran down the corridors. I'm not used to running like this, and the heavy gear makes it worse.

Suddenly, Liam held up his hand and brought them to a stop. “My shields are weaker than they were before,” Liam said worriedly. What?

“That's not possible Liam. You're imagining things.” Louis said, after a moment. “This place is scary, but don't let it get to you. Come on, let's keep going.” He drew them onward.

After another corridor, Liam brought them to a halt. “No I'm not just imagining it. The further this way we go the weaker my shields get.” Louis frowned at him and then summoned fire.

“You're right,” Louis said worriedly, “My fire's weaker.”

“And the range on my telepathy is waaay down,” Zayn added. “I'm still not getting anything from in front of us. But there are people behind us that should be in range that I can no longer sense.”

“Maybe we should back up a bit?” Harry suggested. “See if that brings us back to full strength?”

They walked back down the corridors until they reached the most recent group of unconscious soldiers. “I'm at full strength again,” Liam said, “Or close enough, anyway.” Zayn and Louis confirmed this.

Niall looked extremely upset. “Shit! I was wondering how James could be imprisoned. He's a teleporter. He should just be able to escape, though he might want to stay to save others.” Then Niall added softly, “He's the sort of person who would.” Niall is really head over heels in love, Harry thought. It amused Harry just how soppy Niall got around James. Though Liam and Zayn are almost as bad. Both of them hero-worship James something ridiculous.

“So something's blocking powers in there!” Louis exclaimed. “James must have walked in there without realising and gotten trapped! Or maybe they turned it on suddenly while he was in there! Either way, there's nothing we can do to help! If we can't use our powers in there, we can't rescue James! Mission aborted guys...” Liam nodded in agreement at Louis' words, as did Harry. Niall just looked sick at the thought of abandoning his boyfriend.

“But does that mean they might turn it on here to trap us too?” Harry asked worriedly. “We could be trapped at any moment!” Harry met the now-horrified gazes of the other boys. If they can take away our powers with a flick of a switch, then we are screwed. We'd have no chance.

“We need to get out of here as fast as we can!” Liam exclaimed, concerned for their safety as always. “We'll have to run for it, and hope we can get out before they block our powers!” Liam was shooting terrified glances at Niall. If Liam lets Niall get hurt, he'll never forgive himself, thought Harry. Harry nodded quickly at Liam's words, as did Louis.

Liam's face brightened suddenly and he quickly pulled out his cellphone, then he looked at it and sighed. “There's no reception here,” Liam said quietly. Damn, we can't call Beth for a quick evac. Even if she could find us.

Where's Zayn? Harry wondered. The other boy hadn't taken part in the panicked discussion, and Harry turned to find him moving among the unconscious soldiers on the ground, placing his head against theirs. Huh? Why is he giving the soldiers knowledge?

After touching heads with the final soldier, Zayn hurried over to Harry. “Not giving them knowledge, Harry. Copying it! If we can't use our powers, we'll need other skills!” Zayn took Harry's head in his hands and brought their heads together. Memories from the soldiers flooded into Harry. Memories of training to use weapons, training to fight, training as a team for combat. Years of training, years from each soldier, flooded into his mind in moments. Zayn moved on to Louis.