Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Harry's point of view

The last week had been a blur for Harry. Their second album, Take Me Home, had been released, and Simon had them all doing endless interviews, photo-shoots, radio, and TV appearances to try to get it more publicity. Harry was proud of the new album, all the band were. We worked hard on it, and it paid off. Simon had liked it. He'd congratulated them all on it. Now Harry sat in a chair next to Paul, waiting for Niall to finish his photo-shoot.

Idly, Harry pulled a marble out of his pocket and held out his hand. The marble began to whizz in little circles above his hand. He moved his fingers apart and the marble moved in a slalom through his fingers, weaving in and out between them. The great thing about have a power is I never get bored now. There's always a way to have fun in an idle moment.

The photographer ordered Niall to change position, yet again. The photographer didn't seem to be happy with the way this particular photo-shoot was going. He kept telling Niall to smile more. Niall's probably missing his boyfriend, Harry thought. James had had to leave two days ago and hadn't come back yet. Off running the world I suppose. Sometimes it amazed Harry that someone so young as James had so much responsibility. Yet it felt right. James had Liam's Daddy-Direction sense of responsibility. He was someone you could trust, someone who would always do the right thing, someone who would always stand up to help others no matter what the cost to himself. James is the right person to be running the world.

Harry decided he would try and cheer Niall up. Especially if it gets this photo-shoot over and done with faster. Harry got up from beside Paul and went over to stand behind the photographer. He looked around carefully to check that no one else was in the room. Then he pulled a second marble from his pocket. He began to make them both spin fast in large circles in the air in front of him, in interweaving patterns. Niall looked at Harry, his eyes widening in alarm. Then he broke into a grin, as he realized there was no one to see, and that Harry was doing it to entertain him. That's it Niall, thought Harry, as Niall smiled. Just smile.

Making a couple more small objects fly toward him from a nearby shelf, Harry held out his arms and made the various flying objects zoom in tight circles around his arms, then around his body and down his legs and then back up. Niall grinned and laughed. The photographer was busy staring down his camera at Niall, trying to get the angle right. I wonder how many things I can move at once? I've never actually tried more than three objects before today I don't think. But in that video I saw about my power they were using a 52-card deck, so there must be basically no limit. Harry looked around and saw a container of paperclips on a desk. Excellent. All the paperclips lifted out and drifted towards him. Niall saw them and laughed.

The photographer seemed increasingly satisfied at Niall's positivity and his camera began clicking away trying to capture Niall's smile mid-laugh. Harry focused carefully, trying to order each paperclip to do just a slightly different thing to the one next to it. This is hard. Maybe I should take up juggling to get the hang of controlling so many things at once? In the end, Harry settled for forming them into a line. Once they were in a line he could give the same instructions to each of them and they would just follow, one after the other. He made the line of paperclips zoom through the air, drawing figure eights with them. Niall watched him at it, and smiled brightly.

The photographer congratulated Niall on how much he was glowing, which made Harry's head jerk up. He examined Niall closely. Oh, he's not actually glowing. The guy is just using it metaphorically as in 'glowing with happiness'. Although maybe if he glowed just a tiny bit it would make the photo better?