Girls Night In

"Didn't you just leave?" Arden asked when she opened the door with a bemused smile.

I stood on Arden's doorstep—shivering, teeth chattering, breath condensing—after I'd spent the last twenty minutes coaxing my car to start in the dark and plummeting temperature, but she'd finally given up on me, throwing some sort of temper tantrum to prove a point. I wasn't amused.

"My car won't start," I said. "Can you try giving me a jump?"

"I'll grab my keys."

Arden disappeared inside and I trudged back to my car, kicking the tire.

"Here," Arden said, handing me a heavier coat and gloves.

"Thank you," I said, gratefully accepting them. I'd grown up in the cold and snow, but my body never got the memo, constantly plagued by my affliction six months out of the year. I slipped into the coat and gloves while Arden pulled her truck in front of my car.

Snow began to gently fall. We quickly attached the jumper cables and I hopped in my car, revving the engine.

Nothing.

I tried a few more times until I eventually cut the engine and fell against my steering wheel, groaning. I wondered how much this would cost.

When I pulled myself together, Arden had her face under my hood, flashlight in hand, examining the inner workings of my car.

"I think your battery is completely dead," Arden said when I'd joined her. "Otherwise it might be your catalytic converter. It's hard to tell." Arden stood and faced me. "The repair shop is already closed for the night, so you'll have to leave your car here tonight."

"Great," I muttered. I slammed my hood down in frustration.

"Come inside, it's freezing," Arden coaxed.

I followed her back inside, shaking off the snow that settled on my hair and shoulders and hanging the coat on the rack. Arden threw more logs on the fire and stood by the flames. I joined her, still shivering.

"Fuck it's cold outside," I said, rubbing my hands together and holding them out near the fire.

"That happens in winter."

I rolled my eyes, amused instead of annoyed. Now that I allowed myself to see Arden from a different perspective—rather, once I'd stopped being such an asshole—I found her teasing and sarcastic remarks endearing instead of what I once thought were insults.

"Thank you for that astute observation," I said.

"Anytime."

"Okay," I said, once feeling had returned to my fingers. "I'm going to see who can come get me."

I called my brother first, but he didn't answer. I quickly texted him asking him to call me. My phone rang instantly.

"Everything okay?" Miles asked as soon as I'd answered.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just need a ride home. My car won't start."

"Where are you?"

"At a friend's house."

"You have friends?"

"Very funny. Can you come pick me up or not?"

"Not right at this moment."

"I can hang out for a bit. How long to do you think?"

"A few hours, maybe longer."

"A few hours? What are you doing?"

"I'm on a date."

I sighed. "You're not planning on going home tonight, are you?"

"Hopefully not." I heard the smile on his lips.

"Okay, I'll call mom. Don't worry about me. Have fun."

"You too."

I hung up and turned to Arden. "Miles is on a date, apparently."