CHAPTER 6: Mission failed

He held his long, intimidating stare at my grip, and seeing that I would not voluntarily let go, quickly struggled free.

"... Stay back before I want your death, too."

"Aniki...". I heard Rindou's intensely worried call behind us.

I frozed in place as Shinae threw one last warning glare at me and turned back to Crybaby. He has regained consciousness again, yet he couldn't make a sound and, although I was not looking at him, I could sense his exceedingly pleading eyes pinned on me.

Shinae threw his next hit, and I- I--

Once I could think straight again, I was hugging tight onto Shinae's head with all my strength and felt his messy but soft hair brushed against my uniform.

"Shinae..."

He flinched at my touch and struggled in resistance when I held his head back. His tiny blood-stained but pale face turned dark with rage as his eyes slowly looked up at me.

"Motherfvcker, didn't I say--". He gritted his teeth.

Our eyes finally met for the first time up close.

His eyes are genuinely beautiful. Large pupils the darker shades of peacock blue with bright specks of light reflecting under long eyelashes. His eyes suddenly soften and his eyes seems to fade into a brighter turquoise hue.

"A... Aniki..?"

"Huh?"

"No--"

His pupils flashed stonily empty again. Somehow I knew Shinae felt a cold shiver down his body and recoiled from my touch, all the while trying to break his head free.

Even Crybaby under him stared at us with genuine shock and a quiver of hope in his eyes.

"SHINAE! CUT THIS SHIT OUT IMMEDIATELY! THIS- MURDERING IS NOT HOW YOU'RE SUPPOSE TO SOLVE THE ISSUE." I roared at his wide-eyed face. "YOU TWO ARE SIBLINGS!"

His stare no longer seems cold and empty. His lips quivered as he went a shade paler.

"You--"

His body suddenly bend double against mine. The force forced me to let go of his face.

"--are-". He turned his head back while coughing.

Crybaby have withdrawn from under Shinae and was staring at us.

It was Rindou.

"B_tch, haven't you heard what my brother just said?". He said as he quickly retreated his fist.

"...Ouch."

Rindou landed another knock-up blow onto his face.

I had hope Shinae would be able to avoid it, like how he did when he fought with Akuito, but he didn't avoid the punch at all. In fact, he seemed to be completely ignorant of it.

Shinae was kneeling this whole time, but the punch made him fall back on his back and leaned onto me. I stared at him in horror and disbelief. There didn't seem to be a streak of defense or a will to fight in him, as dull and lifeless as a stick or a leaf. Thick red blood was streaming down his nose and even dripped onto my gloves.

"That should be enough to deal with him." Rindou said out loud. "Now, someone call for a cab and send these two home. That is enough drama for one night."

One of our subordinates steadied Crybaby up to his feet and another hesitantly approached us, signaling to take Shinae.

"N...No." quivered the little body in my arms, "I don't... want to go... home."

I was shocked to hear him. After all, Rindou's punch was able to knock any men out easily. I was amazed that he was conscious, but I'm sure he couldn't thinking straight at the moment.

He turned and rested his head onto my shoulder while his hand held onto my uniform.

"Aniki... I want to stay with you... I just... want to say sorry..."

I couldn't help myself but melt at his whining.

He must have gone through dreadful trauma.

"... It's okay. I'm here with you.", I said as I patted his head lightly.

Shinae slowly closed his eyes and muttered something I could not make out, but his grip was still tight and we stayed in that position for a while.

Crybaby has left. The crowd slowly thins out and Kakuchou with the other heavenly kings also went.

I could feel his warm regular breathing on my neck.

"Shinae? Are you... awake?". I whispered.

There was no reply.

"You done yet, brother?". Rindou walked up behind me.

"He's... asleep."

"This problematic assh_le-- 'Cmon, let's leave."

"I can't leave him here~! He will catch his death of cold!". I slightly winced. "And he doesn't want to go home, either! There must be something dreadful going on in his house!"

"Really, brother, I can't understand why you give a shit about this random stranger. It's not like you know him anyways.". He huffed, but then sighed and pushed up his glasses, "Well, in that case, I guess we just have to bring him home with us for a one night stay then."

I looked at him with a smile, surprised and thankful

"Thanks, Rinrin.", I said as I carefully picked Shinae up. His body seems so small and fragile in my arms that I fear he will break if I drop him. "Now, let's go home."