CHAPTER 9

Archer showed up to our apartment at 7pm. I had told him to wait by the elevator and that I would be there in a second. But no, he just had to be the gentleman, knocking our door and chatting up my grandma.

   I was wearing my sparkly gold top with the matching gold skirt and a pair of my black pumps. So that meant I was going to wear the floor-lengh marroon dress to prom. My hair was braided today and fell loosely on my lower back. 

   'I'm ready,' I announced coming into the living room with Bullet Claws in my arms.

   Just then my mom came in, looking tired from work.

   She first spotted me, then looked over to Archer and Grandma. She put two and two together that Archer was about to take me on a date.

    'Where are you going dressed like a disco ball,' she asked me her hands on her hips.

    'Mom, don't embarass me like that. We are just going to the movies,' I said even though I wasn't sure where Archer was taking me yet.

   'Who is he? Who are you?' she said turning to Archer suddenly.

   Before he could answer, my grandma intervened. 

   'He is a just Belle 's classmate. They are going out for a night. Let the kids be kids, please.'

   'If you are not home by 10pm, don't bother coming home at all,' my mother said. I knew she really meant 11:30ish, so I wasn't too fazed.

  'Don't mind my mom much,' I said to Archer as we stepped into the elevator.  

  'Really I don't. My mom is exactly the same. You know what she said when I told her I'm going on a date tonight?'

'What did she say?'

'If she isn't the girl you would marry, don't waste her time.'

   'Your mom is damn right,' I teased ruffling his hair. He grabbed my waist and gave me a soft kiss just shy of my lips. 

  We got into his car and he asked me, 'Do you really want to go to the movies?'

    'No, I was just saying that to get my mom off my back. Take us wherever, I don't mind,' I said.

   He reached out for my seatbelt and clipped it shut. I flashed him a sweet smile.

  We pulled up into the mall and went into one japanese restaurant and ordered authentic ramen. As we ate,  Archer kept telling me funny stories about his Indian mom.

  'Wow, your home cooked meals must be the bomb. Indian cuisine is one of my favourites,' I said.

  'Yeah it's spicy and flavourful. If you want, you could come over one of these days,' he offered.

 After we ate, I noticed a sale going on in sephora and went to check it out.

  'You could wait outside if you want,' I said to Archer.

  'Nah, I can't just abandon you like that,' he said linking my arm with his and we entered the store together.

I tested out several nude lipsticks and ended up decided on a dark brown liner and getting a moisturizer for my mom. I also insisted on buying a facewash for Archer since he showed me such a good time.

  'I hate, hate guys who think buying skin care or telling their friends they look good is homo,' I said to him as we rolled into the parking lot. 'And what the fuck is wrong with being gay anyway?'

  He nodded slightly, his face all flustered.

   He took me home and all the way, I let the wind run through my hair. Driving in Toronto on fall nights with the yellow glow of the street lights is an EXPERIENCE. The gold and red coloured leaves scattered on the road and the full moon above, it was the perfect ending to the night.

   Once we rolled into my apartment complex, I pulled Archer in for one of those 'it's the end of the date so we kiss,' kisses. 

  After landing him some hot flirty pecks, he grabbed my arms and flashed me one of his killer smiles. 

    'I love you,' he said softly. 

WHAT DID HE SAAAAY?! I was tongue-tied.

   'I love you,' he repeated as if I hadn't heard the first time. In his eyes, I saw tears welling up.

   'I love your heart, your soul, I love that you are a good person and you make great jokes. I love that you are forgiving and you have a killer dress style.'

   'Thank you,' I managed to finally say.

   'But FayBelle, I want to let you know something. I'm not atttracted to girls. When I see you, I feel love but I don't get turned on. That's why I was acting so weird that day you climbed my lap in class.'

  I found myself giving him a hug. We held each other for a long time and when we finally let go, I whispered, 'I love you too Cal Archers.'