Fifty seven

Simon knew that the camera flashes, reporters, and meaningless conversations would be too much for Wilhelm.

They stood outside the hall where their engagement party was being held, Wilhelm was having a conversation with his mother about 'appearance', much to Wilhelm's annoyance.

It seemed as if there was something extra, this wasn't usually how the queen acted anymore, it seemed as if she was warning wilhelm not to cause a scene.

The endless congratulations, a few backhanded comments, and a lot of champagne later, Simon found himself talking to Felice and her family, alongside Linda and Sara.

His mother and sister looked beautiful, with the professional makeup artists work you'd never believe Linda was a day over twenty five.

It wasn't the same as parents day, where they had been pushed aside and treated like commoners. Instead they felt welcome.

Simon actually knew most of the aristocratic rich people, having spoke to them at events before, but he always enjoyed talking to Felice or friends from hillerska more.

Linda wore a deep green satin dress, Sara wearing a blue one, wearing expensive Jewellery they had collected over the years.

Simon was glad his family fit the part, noticing how they blend in perfectly with the noble rich people or whatever.

He was proud to be a non-res at hillerska, to be different, but this was very different. He needed his family to fit this part, wether he likes it or not.

Felice was complimenting Sara's dress and makeup when Wilhelm appeared at his side, they shared a smile.

Wilhelm led him across the room, dancing along to a slow Violin song a group of musicians played. Simon could barely slow dance, let alone waltz.

"You know I'm not good at this," Simon almost stepped on Wilhelm's feet.

Wilhelm laughed a little, "You know I love watching you try."

They danced for a little longer, sharing chaste kisses, long smiles.

"You're improving, definitely not as good as me though." Wilhelm smirked.

"Well I'm sorry my mother didn't spend tax payers money on teaching me how to dance when I was 5." Simon joked.

"I was 8 actually," wilhelm said matter-of-factly.

They could feel the flash of the photographers, capturing the moment, feeding it to the media, but it didn't bother Wilhelm at this moment, he was fixated on the man trying his hardest not to humiliate himself with horrible dancing skills.

A voice, familiar in a sense that brought a bad taste to Wilhelm's tongue, yet one he hadn't heard in years.

"Wilhelm, Simon." The man nodded, it was august, whom brought nothing but panic to Wilhelm's chest.

"August." Wilhelm swallowed, taking deep breaths.

"Simon, You clean up quite nice." augusts comments were always backhanded, this wasn't news.

"Well, congratulations. considering you always make sure to get what you want." August sounded disgusted, or annoyed.

"I don't believe I invited you." Wilhelm bit his tongue, remembering there were 'millions' of reporters flanking them.

"I was invited by the queen, why wouldn't family show up for this... celebration."

"I thought we had made it clear that you're not family."

August was unbearable, "This isn't about your logic, this is about blood. Stop acting like a child, Wilhelm." He leaned in close, "I offered my apologies, it was you who didn't accept them."

"Your presence is unneeded, leave." Simon tried to say it as quietly as possible, all 3 of them weren't trying to cause a scene.

August knowingly couldn't -shouldn't- insult Simon anymore, considering simon wasn't the same person who attended hillerska anymore.

It was immature of him to think the thought;

Why would I listen to somebody who's not the same class as me? Someone who is dirt poor?

He knew it technically wasn't true, Simon was now the same class as him, considering in a matter of months he'd be marrying into the royal family, and would now be more relevant than him. It annoyed him.

"I don't think queen Kristina would be happy if I were to leave, this is about family." august was practically trying to get on Wilhelm's nerves.

"This isn't about her, this is about the fact if you don't leave I'll call malin to personally escort you out." Wilhelm was demanding it, proving that he could be ruthless if he needed to, the type of prince his family had always wanted.

August hesitated, he didn't move for a moment, "That's an order, august." Wilhelm reminded him, far beyond cold.

Wilhelm felt uncomfortable speaking like this, he felt controlling and manipulative, but it needed to be done.

August left, probably making up some excuse on his way out.

Kristina glared at Wilhelm from across the room, a knowing glance, he knew she would definitely be speaking to him later.

That was one of the few times Simon had heard Wilhelm actually use his authority to demand something,

"I'll be right back," Wilhelm locked eyes with his mother, Simon knew.

"No, not right now. Do it after, or everyone's gonna know you didn't want august here."
Simon was right, of course simon was right.

"That's true." Wilhelm thought for a moment, before taking a breath and beginning to play with the watch around his wrist.

Simon grabbed his hands, "it's okay, Wille."

Wilhelm gave a small smile at simon's efforts.

"Your highness, her majesty would like you to do official photos now, if you don't mind."

Well that's her way of making wilhelm look happy for a few moments.

"Of course," Wilhelm put on his fakest smile, posed with Simon, Simons touch alone was enough to turn Wilhelm's fake smile into a real one temporarily.

An hour later, -a really long hour- Wilhelm took Simon by the hand, whispering something along the lines of 'if we leave now, they won't notice."

Simon nodded in agreement, taking Wilhelm's hand as they snuck away from their own party.

In the warmth of Wilhelm's sheets, pressed against one another, they'd be okay.

A/n
Sorry I haven't posted in a really long time, It was the holidays, then I got Covid because I decided to party on New Years (stupid decision I know)

But I wish everyone a happy belated holidays, happy New Years : )

Did you guys listen to 'mi casa su casa' by Omar yet? If not, go listen to it cuz it's amazing!

- Eli