a night of mystery

shuichi stared out the window, thinking about whatever came to his mind.

maybe coming to the masquerade alone was a bad idea.

he knew everyone there, obviously, as this was also a high school reunion sort of thing.

most of the people he recognized hung together in groups and sorts, chatting about their perfect lives. shuichi wore a dark blue suit with a black tie and black pants, a blue and black mask was placed on his face. he hadn't changed much, even though it had been two years since he graduated from high school. he noticed no one else did either, and they all seemed to be just adult versions of their teenage years.

he zoned out and hadn't realized how long he had been standing there until someone called his name.

"saihara-kun?"

he turned to see kaede looking back at him.

she looked beautiful, her blonde hair pulled back in an elegant bun, her skin clear and bright. on top of that, she wore a pink dress with lace outlining the ends and neck. a white ribbon was wrapped tightly around her waist. her mask was the same, white and pink, with rhinestones bordering the ends of the mask.

"hey, akamatsu-san."

she smiled and took a step forward.

"what are you doing here... alone?" her voice was soft and hinting at a tease.

shuichi rolled his eyes.

"daydreaming about my lost love." he smirked. "i bet that's what you were thinking while dancing with amami-kun."

an obvious blush formed on her face, and she hit his arm playfully.

"i was not!"

they laughed and shuichi faced the window again. kaede did the same.

"it's been a while, hasn't it? how have you been?"

she smiled. "great. i debuted as a pianist a few months back, you know?"

"that's amazing. i always knew you were good at playing anyway." he winked.

"alright, mr. know-it-all~"

"saihara-kun!"

shuichi glanced back and saw rantaro running towards him.

"amami-kun. how's it going?"

the green-haired male chuckled, stopping in front of him. "good, what about you?"

rantaro hadn't changed much either. he wore a dark green suit with a matching mask decorated with jewels. his tie and pants were both white. aside from that, his sleeves were rolled up slightly, showcasing his bracelets, the same ones from high school. his hair was still the same, a little styled to make him look more "playboy" material.

oh yeah, he definitely screamed "mr. steal your girl".

"i'm fine," shuichi replied with a smile.

he looked at kaede, who nodded and giggled.

"we have a surprise for you, saihara-kun!"

he paused, then gasped and clapped a hand on his mouth in horror.

"no! don't tell me..."

they both looked at him with the same expression and he leaned against the wall.

"oh... i feel my life draining slowly." he exhaled. "who would have thought the innocent two would end up in that sort of situation."

kaede stared at him, confused.