Chapter 10 - You lied

Nightmares kept taunting me that night. I saw Lord Albert falling over and over again, Alice crying all the time. I suddenly woke up to notice that I was still lying in the arms of Cahir who held me tight all night long. We were already so close, but I was afraid of him slipping away nonetheless, so I tightened my grip on him even more. Then I felt him rubbing my back soothingly, which helped me calm down again.

When I woke up again, I was relieved that it was already morning. I looked at Cahir to find him already being wide awake, but not having moved yet. Maybe he was too afraid to wake me up if he changed the position. He just smiled at me and gave me a small „Good morning."„Good morning Cahir.", I said, not being fully awake yet. I got lost in his beautiful eyes for a moment and that was when I remembered about Alice sleeping in the cradle right next to the bed. Now I wondered why she slept through the whole night. As much as I knew, babies usually never did that. Now it was time to get up and for me to check if Alice was alright. She woke up then too, looking at me with her sweet little baby-eyes and I immediately knew that she was probably very hungry, so I fed her before Cahir and I had breakfast too. For the first time in ages, I was hungry in the morning and while we ate, I noticed Cahir looking at me over and over again, grinning, the look of superiority obvious in his eyes. After breakfast I noticed that someone had slid a small note under the door with my name written on it. So I took the letter and read what it said.

Please meet me in the library after breakfast. I need to talk to somebody that isn't my idiot husband. ~Cecilia

I told Cahir that I would go now and asked him if he could look after Alice for a while, to which he sighed. „Can't you take her with you? I told you I'm not good with babies." He almost looked as if he was going on his knees to beg me not to let him be alone with that poor child, which only made me smile. „I'm sure you can do this. I'll come back as soon as possible to release you." „Promise?" He looked so desperate, almost like a child which only made me shake my head and laugh. „Promise."

I went to the library to find Cecilia already sitting there, waiting for me. „Good, you made it.", she said relieved. „Good morning." I said and sat down next to her. „I'm still shocked by what happened yesterday.", she told me. „Yes, me too." „The worst thing is that my stupid husband commented on it being 'foreseeable'. Said that it was no big surprise, but only a question of time." „What an asshole.", I said to which she nodded. „Right. He is indeed an asshole. But you're situation is probably way worse than mine now, isn't it? I mean now that you have to take care of poor Alice. She's such a sweet little girl." „Yes, she is. I think I'm fine. I should be more worried about Cahir. He's looking after the poor girl right now. He didn't enjoy it when I told him that we were meeting and that he had to get along with her alone for a while. Almost begged me to take her with me or to not go in the first place.", I told her. She was laughing slightly now. „Poor man, really. So... I don't want to be nosy, but... is there something going on between the two of you? You always seem to be so close, I saw you training in the courtyard multiple times." "There's nothing going on between us. I mean... I really like him, but I'm only a girl from some village. I'm nobody important or anything and he probably wouldn't fall in love with me. I think we're only so close because we're sleeping in the same bed."

„Speaking of it, now that there is again a free room, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say it that way. But I mean that you could... you know... move there." „I know, but I actually don't want to. Having Cahir sleep next to me made me never want to sleep somewhere alone again, even if we're just friends. You know, I was feeling so bad yesterday that we fell asleep cuddling.", I told Cecilia who shook her head. „And you said he couldn't love you." I asked her what she meant by that but she just shook her head. After some time in which we kept talking, I told her that I now had to go back to see if Cahir was still alive. „Try telling him that you could move to another bedroom now and see how he reacts. If he doesn't want you to, he for sure really likes you."

I thanked her for that 'advice' and made my way back to our bedroom where I found the door being open. I slowly looked inside to find Cahir facing the other way, changing the nappy of Alice. He didn't notice me, but instead talked to the child. „She was right when she said I could do it. You're such a sweet child. Isn't even that hard to change you're little baby nappy. Don't tell her I said that. Honestly, it would get to her head. She would want me to always do that. I trust you to keep your little baby mouth shut. She doesn't need to know." „Don't worry, she won't", I said, startling Cahir. The way he was talking to Alice was just too cute and I noticed his face redden. „And you said you weren't good with children. You lied to me, you know.", I shook my head, smirking wide. „And you were right, now that I know that you can do it, I do want you to always change her little nappies. As an apology for lying to me."

„I can apologize in any way you want, but please no lifelong nappy-changing. Now I really beg you." I pretended to think about it and then said: "It's fine, no lifelong nappy-changing for you, but I'll remember that you said you could apologize in any way I want." Cahir now took Alice in his arms while I slowly walked over to them.

„Now there's something else I want to talk about.", I said. „That is?"„Now that nobody lives in the bedroom above us anymore... I could move there. You know, to give you your bed back and all." I noticed him looking shocked and quickly added „But only if you don't have anything that speaks against it, of course. Now, please tell me your honest opinion."

„I honestly don't want you to sleep somewhere else than in my bed. I got used to it and it would be unnecessary to get used to sleeping alone again."

Unnecessary? What did he mean by that? And was Cecilia right? Did he think that I should stay because he like me? Or was it really like he said, just because he already got used to it?