Chapter 3

A knock on the door wakes me up from my sleep. Stretching my arms up in the air, I twist my neck a bit before getting out of the bed.

Yawning, as I walk towards the door, I am still rubbing the sleep off my eyes when I open the door and find Daniel looking down at me.

All my sleepiness vanishes into thin air and is replaced by shock as I spot him standing on my doorstep, so early in the morning. I am sure it's not even 8 am.

"Hey," he whispers while staring down at me, amusement lurking in those dark eyes.

"What? I mean, what are you doing here?" I ask, managing not to stutter while trying to sound firm.

I broke up with him. I specifically told him to never contact me. Still he is here at my doorstep, at 7 am in the morning, after a week of me calling things off.

The nerve of this man!

"You didn't listen to me that day and I think I have a right to explain myself," he says, rather arrogantly.

His words send a shard of pain through my heart, not because of what he said but because of the way he said it.

He seems to be bothered about me breaking things off him. He is not here to get me back. He is here to explain himself, not to plead his case.

How well have I started to read him!
This is a curse!

Taking a deep breath, I try to calm myself and my abnormal heartbeat.

The moment I saw him on my doorstep, my heart started beating frantically in my chest.

However, when he spoke those words, it squeezed in my chest threatening to pump out all the blood leaving it empty.

Blinking back my tears, I hope that I look really very unattractive in my just-woke-up face.

"Then speak what you have to and get out of my residence."

I do not even want him lurking around my house or bakery. Not anymore. He can go and marry his career for all that matters.

Oh, God! I sound like a bitch!

"Wouldn't you invite me in?"

His question is so casual that I want to slap that casual attitude from his face.

His expectant face makes me shiver and from the corner of my mind, that evil voice speaks.

Maybe be came back to you. He realized that he can't live without you.

That thought makes me want to roll my eyes at my own pathetic mind. I will not be that foolish to believe such lies.

However, I cannot let him stand there on my doorstep, looking so handsome, so early in the morning while I am looking like a crow's nest.

Sighing, I run a hand through my unruly hair which is surprisingly not that full of knots.

"Come inside," I whisper and then close the door behind him. He walks in and then looks around as if expecting it to be looking depressing like my heart.

Or maybe it's my thinking that is making me look at Daniel in negative picture. He hurt me so I am thinking all bad about him.

He sits on the arm chair and then waits for me to sit as well but I don't. His knock on the door woke me and I haven't even brushed my teeth.

If he smelt my morning breath then serves him right. He shouldn't have woken me up at 7 am on a Sunday just because it is his schedule to wake up early in the morning.