Chapter Two

Coming in here certainly paid off, Dan thought to himself as he browsed the shelves. Not only had he managed to rescue a damsel in distress, so to speak, but one he'd seen quite a few times on his recent visits to the Olde Oxford shopping arcade. His day suddenly seemed a whole lot brighter.

He noticed countless personal touches as he looked around the small gift shop, from the way products were grouped together according to colour or theme, to the little notes attached to things that suggested who the gift could be for, and why.

Dan presumed all of this was Annie's handiwork. He'd only ever seen her in the shop when he'd glanced through the window all those times, no one else, so he assumed she owned the place.

He walked around an old wooden bookcase laden with all kinds of trinkets, glancing across the shop as the window came back into view. Annie was kneeling on the floor, picking up errant teddy bears. As she leaned forward, her shiny brown hair slid from behind her ear and veiled her face. He watched her loop the errant strands back into place before scratching her cheek with a pink fingernail.

He knew now that her eyes were the most beautiful dark green. He'd homed in on them as soon as he'd seen her up close. There was something slightly feline about them but, at the same time, something incredibly warm and welcoming.

Annie stood up, her arms full of bears, and Dan quickly turned to study a row of wooden toys. He picked out a brightly coloured train that would be perfect for his nephew. When he glanced back, he saw Annie kneeling up on the wide windowsill to hang the fairy lights back up.

Dan thought back through the handful of women he'd dated over the last few years. Though they'd all been attractive and charming enough, they had all been missing that certain... something. He wasn't sure what that 'something' was, but he guessed it was a quality that would make him find a woman constantly astonishing. The kind of woman he couldn't take his eyes off.

And right now, he was unable to stop looking at Annie Hoffman.

The feeling was more than a little unnerving. He barely knew her – had only just met her. Could she be the one? How could he even know that so soon?

It didn't take long for his rational business mind to resume the controls; these strange feelings were probably just a natural reaction to having helped her out of a sticky situation, while also being simultaneously physically attracted to her. Simply explained, easily understood.

Dan caught sight of his reflection in a jewel-studded mirror. He noticed that his eyes looked a little brighter than usual but, as he leaned closer, he saw the contrast between their newfound lustre and the dark shadows that lay beneath them. A sure sign of over-work if ever there was one.

His mobile phone began to ring. He put his basket on the floor, pulled the device from his pocket and hit the talk button. 'Dan Collins.'

'Where the bloody hell are you?' a voice demanded. 'In case you've forgotten, we have a lunch meeting with George Appleby.'

'Damn it! Ed, I completely forgot.' Dan squeezed his eyes shut, pressing the heel of his hand to his forehead.

'Well, you better get here pronto. Appleby's asking about the completion date and he just told me he's got an afternoon appointment with the guys at Wilkins and Son . . .' Ed's voice trailed off meaningfully.

Dan cursed. Wilkins and Son had been trying to poach the Appleby account from his own employers for many years. He checked his watch. 'Give me fifteen minutes. I just need to, er, finish up the measurements at the shopping arcade.'

'Get a move on, Collins. If I'm feeling charitable, I might tell Appleby you're stuck in traffic. Then again, I might not bother.'

Ed's voice disappeared into the buzz of a hang-up. Dan dropped the phone back into his coat pocket and picked up his basket.

'Annie, I've got to run,' he said as he walked towards the counter. 'I'm late for a meeting.'

She turned from the window display, a doll's table and chairs in her hands. 'No problem. I'll be right with you.' She put the doll's furniture back on the shelf, then came to the counter and began to price up his shopping.

'I need to get one more gift,' he said, 'for my niece. But I'm not sure what to buy. Can you suggest something?'

'Absolutely.' Annie smiled as she wrapped up the other things he'd selected. 'How old is she?'

'Six.'

'Does she like pink?'

'Not at all contrary to popular opinion, she does.'

'Would she be starting to learn ballet, by any chance? Or does she want to?' Annie placed the wrapped gifts into a sturdy brown paper bag.

Dan arched his eyebrows in surprise. 'Her first lesson was last month. How did you... how did you know?'

'In my experience, the Venn diagram of a six-year-old girl, ballet, and the colour pink is a fairly predictable one. I have the perfect gift.'

Dan, intrigued, watched Annie walk over to the old bookcase he'd peered around minutes earlier. She reached to the back of the top shelf and took out something small and pink.

'Will this do the trick?' She came back to the counter and held out an ornamental pair of tiny silk ballet slippers.

'She'll love them.' He touched the delicate fabric with a cautious finger. 'But they'll never fit her. She's just had a growth spurt.'

Annie laughed as she began to wrap the tiny slippers in tissue paper. 'They're not for wearing. Just a keepsake.'

Dan shook his head with slight embarrassment, and pulled his wallet from his inner coat pocket. 'Of course they are. Well, in that case, they're perfect. Thanks, Annie.'

He watched a blush creep across her cheeks and found himself thinking about walking around the counter and taking her in his arms.

Why was that all he could imagine doing?

'I'm glad you like them,' Annie said, interrupting his thoughts. She slipped the little package into the bag with his other purchases, extricated two notes from the bundle in his hand, and opened the till.

'Wait ­­– aren't you going to price up the shoes?'

She shook her head and handed him his change. 'They're a free gift – to thank you for preserving my dignity.'

'Annie, no. I couldn't—'

'No arguments. My shop, my rules.' She smiled as she slid the till drawer closed. 'Now, you'd better hurry or you'll be late for your meeting.'

'Damn, my meeting!' Talking to Annie had made him forget all about it. He took the bag and headed for the door, then turned to face her. 'Thanks again for your help. Perhaps I'll see you around?'

A beautiful smile blossomed on her face. 'I'd like that.'

He couldn't help but smile, too. 'You would?'

She nodded.

'Then what time do you finish up here tonight?'

There goes that blush of hers again . . .

'About quarter past six?'

'Great. I've got to be back here later to see Bruno. Meet me at the front of the arcade at closing time? I'd like to take you for a cup of coffee, Miss Hoffman.'

'I'd love that, Mr Collins.'

'It's a date,' Dan said with a smile, and then with great effort, he forced himself to turn around and walk away. 

Thank you for reading!

Please vote with the STAR if you enjoyed this chapter; I would very much appreciate it!