8. It's Not About Her

"How old do you think it is?" Farida said, looking at the antique clock in her grandmother's room. The tick tock of the piece always fascinated her.

"Don't change the subject," her grandmother said from the sofa she occupied at the moment. "I know something's been bothering you and I want to know all about it."

"It's nothing really," Frida sighed. "I just feel like a misfit, and no one likes me." She was bad at making friends, and truth be told, Maya had been her only real friend, but even she hated her now.

"You are an amazing person. Then why are you having a hard time? Is it about Maya?"

Her grandmother must have heard her thoughts, but she wasn't ready to face the unresolved feelings she had about Maya. "Why would you bring her into the conversation? We aren't even friends anymore, and it's not about her. I just don't know how to connect with people." She shrugged, unable to explain her emotions.

"And maybe that's the problem." Her grandmother seemed to understand more than she thought. "Maybe it should be about Maya. You girls were thick as thieves once and you can become friends again." She smiled at Frida in encouragement.

"You're right and I know that it's partially my fault, but I don't know how to get her back to my side." Frida plopped down on the sofa and her grandmother hugged her.

"Then maybe you need to go to her side," her grandma said matter-of-fact way.