Chapter Twelve

Story: Broken But Brave
Chapter Twelve: Broken with Negativity

Ginny closed her eyes fearing for the worst as Harry's wand was still pointed at her. She would get attacked but she would never reveal her name as she did for his. She was one quite stubborn lady and Harry loved it.

Harry's face graced with a bigger smirk as he thought of what he was going to do. He made a small movement with his wand and muttered a charm.

"Finite Incantatem."

Ginny's face started to morph a little and then it turned back to her normal one. Her cheek line was the same and as she opened her brown eyes, Harry got lost staring into them. However, she frowned.

"Is this why you scared me?" she asked as she looked deep into his eyes which had a small twinkle in them. A genuine smile crossed his face.

"I never meant to. Since you played with me, I did it. Tit for Tat. You know what, Gin? You look drop dead gorgeous this way."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "I'll be honest with you. You look pale and your eyes are dull." Harry chuckled. "And your hair looks less . . . messy?" Harry nodded albeit slowly.

"Azkaban does stuff to a man."

Ginny shrugged. The previous look of desire in his eyes was replaced with a merry twinkle. Ginny wondered if she had gotten his look wrong.

"I know that you modified Miss Sallow's memories to make her think that your name is Serena Keith but unfortunately for you, Miss Sallow already informed me that we would be visiting one beautiful red head who goes by the name of Ginny. "

Ginny harrumphed. "And you're an auror," she pointed out.

"I was," he corrected as Ginny raised her eyebrows. He shrugged and Ginny went back to looking at her file. "Gin, listen. I am-" Harry started but was cut off by a knock. He groaned and put the charms down as Ginny said 'enter'. Iliana came in with another stack of files.

"This is required, Serena. How is the laptop, Mr Potter?" 

"Perfect."

"Good-" Iliana was cut off.

"Miss Keith, I see that you haven't typed the opening and your own name," Harry said, looking at the laptop. Ginny turned pink. She wanted to hide that fact.

"I-no, not yet."

"If you do not mind, I shall do it," he said, not looking at the two girls. Ginny nodded. "Should I?" he asked once again. Ginny scowled.

"Yes," she said. Harry put a hand to his ear while keeping his eyes on the laptop.

"Sorry, did not catch it."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "YES, Mr Potter! Please type that!" Ginny screamed. Harry nodded.

"SURE, Miss Keith."

Sensing the tension in the room, Iliana stealthily left. Harry smirked and once again charmed the room. Ginny scowled again.

"What do you want?! I know that you created the tension for sending Iliana out! And give me back my wand, Harry Potter!" she exclaimed as Harry's smirk disappeared. It was replaced with a guilty look.

"Look, Ginny. I am truly sorry-" Ginny made to retort but he silenced her by holding up his hand. "I know that I shouldn't have been that noble about. . . admitting the mistake but understand. . . I did not want Ron or Hermione or Neville to be sent in with me if I didn't admit. T-they are meant to live happily. . . Ron and Hermione were planning their wedding and Neville just got the post of a Hogwarts professor and it's not like I needed a career to fill our stomachs. In fact, you could have lived happily even with me not being there with all the wealt-"

"Wealth is not what I ever wanted, Harry! I couldn't have lived there without you!" Ginny cut in. Harry sighed.

"I know. Those five years were the worst years of my life, believe me. I could have survived another horcrux hunt but-" he visibly shuddered. "Please, Ginny. I know that I don't have enough to raise a family but I promise, this time a true one, that I will work day and night and provide for it."

Ginny looked up from the files at him. His eyes were still concentrated on the laptop screen but Ginny could make out that they were misty. He was taking deep breaths.

"I'm sorry, Ginny. Please accept my apology. I want you to be my wife again. Give me a family to tend for. Give me a purpose to live. . ."

Ginny shook her head. "I can't, Harry! I've been hurt enough! I've waited enough! I lost you to your nobility twice! I cannot afford another time!" she shouted. Her own eyes were misting over with treacherous tears.

"I-I will never do it again, Ginny! Let's live in this muggle world just like you requested earlier. I have resigned from the job as an Auror! I do not want to go to the Wizarding World again besides visiting your family!" he said, hoping desperately that she would agree.

"Y-You don't know how much I have missed them just because you left me. Every time I go to the Burrow, I'm reminded of you, Harry!" Ginny retorted.

"Yes, I don't understand that Ginny! I can't too. I can't because. . . I had no family. . . I have no family. . . My parents are dead and I am responsible for that! My wife is angry with me and I am responsible for that! Everyone needs a chance, I was given one after my first failure. . .but I ruined it. Oh, why am I even alive?!" Harry shouted in frustration as few drops of tears leaked from his guilt filled dull, emerald orbs. "I d-don't think I'm worthy of you. . .but please forgive me and give me another chance, Ginny. . ."

A knock was heard. "I-I am s-sorry, Harry," Ginny blurted out, looking down. She was moved to tears by his speech and could not answer nor think straight. She wiped her tears roughly with her hands as Harry sighed and unlocked the door.

"Is everything ready?" Iliana asked. Harry nodded while keeping his head low.

"The speech is done. You can check it out, Gi-Miss Keith," he corrected himself. Ginny nodded and looked at him. They locked eyes for a second before Harry put his hand to his heart but before he left, he said with a miserable voice, "What I have is yours. I will no longer be yours by the break of the dawn. I wish you have a bright future. I shall look over you," with that said, he left a very confused looking Iliana and a guilty looking Ginny behind.

Ginny burst into tears. She did not understand what he meant by those words. Or maybe she did but she did not want to admit that it was true. She felt an arm wrap around her shoulders. Oh, how desperately she wanted that arm to be his but she knew it was her best friend's. Her best friend who she had betrayed. The world seemed to fall on her as she realized that she let two of her most loved ones down - Iliana and Harry. . .

Hey! Don't get mad at me! I tried my best to keep the beginning of the chapter a bit light-hearted but I think I failed as miserably as Harry did. Anyways, I hope this chapter didn't seem too much of out-of-character for the pair.

Now, I did NOT bash Ginny, if you wanted to tell that, no. She was so overwhelmed with emotions and memories of her tragic past that she blurted out whatever she thought was fine. She did not realize that it was wrong. Ginny is my favorite character and so, I will never hate her. >_<

What do you think Harry meant? What are your thoughts about this chapter? Put them in the comments section so that I'll hear about it!

Thank you for reading!

Miyoko x