Chapter 3: Decisions

*Pictures of Ross' castle in media, this is also the castle they used to film the BBC T.V series Merlin- which is awesome and you should definitely watch!- I chose this castle because I know it well enough to describe it (I suck at descriptions) And there's also a picture of the great hall where all the meetings take place etc... And I've badly cropped in a picture of the old oak tree!
Right information over, lettuce begin...
(Hahah salad puns! I'm writing this at 3am don't judge me)*

***Alexander's P.O.V***

****THE NEXT DAY****

I sit with my back against the rough bark of the old oak tree. Spring is here and buds are starting to appear on the oaks branches. The tree hasn't shown any signs of life for the past seven years, is this a sign to come? Will things get better for me? Probably not, this is me we're talking about!

I pick up my lute and start to sing:
(LINK TO SMITH SINGING THIS ON MYSPACE:
https://myspace.com/tinboxboys/music/song/shady-grove-81224767-89482613 )

Shady Grove oh my little love,
Shady Grove I say,
Shady Grove oh my little love,
I'm bound to go away,

Cheeks as red as a blossoming rose and the eyes of the prettiest brown,
She's the darling of my heart,
Sweetest girl in town,

Shady Grove oh my little love,
Shady Grove I say,
Shady Grove oh my little love I'm bound to go away.

I wish I had a big fine horse and corn to feed him on,
And Shady Grove to stay at home and feed him while I'm gone,

Shady grove oh my little love,
Shady Grove I say,
Shady Grove oh my little love I'm bound to go away,

I went to see my little Shady grove,
She was standing in the door,
Shoes and stockings in her hand,
And bare feet on the floor,

Shady Grove oh my little love,
Shady Grove I say,
Shady Grove oh my little love I'm bound to go away,

When I was a little boy I wanted a Barlow Knife,
Now I want little Shady Grove to say she'll be my wife,

Shady Grove oh my little love,
Shady Grove I say,
Shady Grove oh my little love I'm bound to go away,

A kiss from pretty little Shady Grove is sweet as a brandy wine,
There ain't no girl in this old world that's prettier than mine,

Shady Grove oh my little love,
Shady Grove I say,
Shady Grove oh my little love,
Im bound from Shady Gove

I put down my instrument and lean back against the tree again. The intense heat of the day and my playing have tired me out. Looking up into the branches I see a red squirrel hopping across the branches, it stops right above me, I watch it closely as it eats an acorn. I love being close to nature, it makes me relax.

I scrape my hand against the roots of the oak and smile, this is the only place I can think of Chris and feel happy. I look to the lowest branch, Christopher and I carved our initials into that branch on my eighth birthday. I'm brought out of my daze by something small hitting my head, I pick the projectile up; it's an acorn. I look up and see the squirrel. It's black beady eyes stare into my soul. I think I scared it because it darts away after a few seconds.

I put the acorn in my pocket and gaze up at the sky again. If we do end up going to war, and if I die, I want to be buried here. Under the old oak tree.

**Ross' P.O.V**

I sit by the fire in my chambers thinking of what to do. I have too much on my plate to start a war. I have to think of my people but I also have to think of myself. The northern people don't want to reason with us, they say that we've let them down too many times. My father did show a lot of attention to the south of our country. The Northern people had to pay more tax than the people in the south, I can understand their jealousy. The northerners had to work harder and not get much in return whereas the southern people could afford almost anything they desired! My father was a strange man and now I have to clean up the mess that he'd made.

I know that going to war is a horrible idea. In the last rebellion innocent lives were lost and the death toll was higher than it needed to be. Almost everyone was affected by it in one way or another. I also have to think of my friends and family, Alex is like a brother to me. We both lost Chris because of my father. I don't want to lose Alex, I'm the only 'family' he has left. I also have to think of my wife (Kim). If this war kills me she'll be left to rule the country. I don't doubt her strength for a minuet! She's determined and strong minded. If there's an issue she will definitely sort it! She's been really ill for the past four weeks. I'm worried about her.

The bell tower strikes seven. The meeting has been arranged for half past. I get up slowly from my seat and cross over to Kim's chair, she's fast asleep. I gently lift her up and carry her to bed. I rest her head on the pillows and pull the covers round her. I scrape the hair out of her face and kiss her forehead. She's become so tired recently, I'm surprised she burst in on me and Alexander like she did the other day.

Walking to the door and taking one last look at my wife, I leave for the meeting. If I don't come to a decision I know that Lord Brindley will for me...