3

Florence always found qualifying day highly nerve wracking. Her free practice sessions had gotten progressively better, with her setting the 3rd fastest lap time in the third practice session on the morning of qualifying day. So she was cautiously optimistic for a positive qualifying result. She knew this was important to come out of the gates with a good result to set the tone for the rest of the season.

A knocking on her door pulled her out of her thoughts.

"Come in", She knew that it would most likely be her performance coach, Alexander, coming to prep her for qualifying and start the warm up. 

"Hey kid, are you ready for today?", Alexander was 20 years her senior and had been a performance coach in formula one for nearly as long as she'd been alive. He'd also been extremely welcoming to her becoming apart of the team, embracing her with open arms.

"If I'm being honest not entirely"

 Florence had always been someone who had struggled with self belief, she always knew she was capable, knew she was good enough, she just could never fully convince herself that everything hadn't just all been down to luck and that one day she wouldn't be so lucky anymore, as if it could all just fall apart at any moment.

"It's alright, we shall get you all warmed up and then you'll feel ready and full of confidence". The next 30 minutes consisted of various stretches, some football and then reaction drills. With Alexander even telling her that she had some of the best reactions he'd seen, although she was sure that was just part of his ploy to lift her spirits. "Just try not to overthink it out there okay, everyone knows you can drive, that's why you're here. You just have to trust in yourself that you can too, okay?" She half mumbled a soft okay in agreement.

"That was a weak ass okay, I'm going to need some more fire in it than that" 

"Okay!" She emphasised with some stronger conviction.

"Now it's time to go out there and kick some ass, the more ass kicking the better"

This brought a big smile to her Florence's face as she left her small drivers room giggling and in bright spirits, and feeling more confident than before. Ready to kick some driver ass.

***

Okay, Florence that lap puts us in P6, repeat P6. Only cars still on flying laps is Verstappen and Bottas, Although that won't impact us. So bring the car back in.

"Copy that, Thanks guys"

***

Sky News Commontators

"Alright so that is the first qualifying of the season done here on a very hot and humid night in Bahrain, now Crofty what are we thinking about the starting grid for tomorrows race?"

"Well I'm glad you asked Martin, let's start with those who were knocked out in q1 shall we?  Haas was unfortunately as we expected not impressive qualifying 19th and 20th, not what they were looking for at all, however it does bring to question why they signed 2 rookie drivers for the year"

"No you're exactly right, it's near impossible to be able to build a good car off the inexperience of 2 rookie drivers, although it'll be an interesting team dynamic to watch being played out with no clear lead driver at this stage. The came Vettel, Latifi and Ocon, it's got to hurt for Vettel and Ocon to have team mates in q3 whilst they were knocked out in q1, not a good look for them at all."

"Espically for Vettel after being dropped from Ferrari in favour of their new rookie, now that I've mentioned Ferrari I do want to jump ahead and talk about them. They have made an interesting decision in signing the young Florence DeRose as a driver for this year, what has been your impression of her in this first qualifying Martin?"