Short Story Darkness Downstairs

The floors creaked under my feet as I descended down the old stairs into the darkness below. As I reached the basement I used my hands to feel my way to the light switch as I am blind in the darkness. I soon find the cold light switch and with a gentle push of the switch the single light bulb hanging from a cord dimly lit the dull basement.

I started to walk slowly and cautiously into the middle of the basement when the light went out causing me to look around frantically trying to find some source of light but with no hope I finally gave up. Not too long after my other sense’s sharpened, I could hear the slow drip…drip…drip of a leaking pipe and I could smell the pungent smell of damp and decay hanging in the air.

As I walked forward I kept my hands out in front of me just in case I was to fall or walk into a wall. I kept walking forward until I tripped over a mysterious object, falling face first into a pool of sticky, metallic smelling liquid on the floor. I screamed at the top of my lungs making it echo of the walls as I scrambled as far away from the substance as I could, when I noticed I couldn’t because the mysterious object was in my way.

I put my hand out to feel the object that was in my way. The object was hard to press but soft to the touch, my hand made its way up the object only to feel some fabric which I recognised to be a top. That is when I noticed the mysterious object that I tripped over was actually a cold, dead body.

I jumped up from my spot on the cold hard floor to notice the light come on for just enough time to see the rotting dead body of a young lad and the crimson red blood before the lights went out again. I stood there in shock, to scared to move it was like I was paralysed, frozen to the spot. My heart began to speed up when I heard the loud clomping sound of shoes coming towards me and feel the touch of a cold, hard pair of hands wrap around my fragile neck and that’s when my world turned dark….....