Prologue

Jihye Kim had always felt like she was born under a curse

Jihye Kim had always felt like she was born under a curse. From the moment she entered this world, it seemed the universe had conspired against her. She wasn't the type to conform easily to societal expectations—soft-spoken, demure, and obedient.

No, she had a fire within her, a rebellious spirit that refused to be tamed.

Today was another one of those days that validated her belief in this curse. She found herself once again outside the principal's office, chips in hand, lounging as if she owned the place. Inside, the familiar sound of her stepmother's voice reverberated with indignation.

"What do you mean you can't consider letting her stay?!" Aunt Tiffany's voice rang out, sharp and authoritative, a stark contrast to the chaos she often left in her wake.

Jihye smirked to herself, knowing full well the spectacle unfolding behind closed doors. Mr. Kim Sangwook, the young and somewhat sympathetic teacher, had attempted to intervene earlier with genuine concern etched on his face.

But Jihye, ever the provocateur, had brushed him off with a playful jest about the lab she accidentally incinerated.

"I'm good here, waiting for the principal to make his grand exit," she had quipped, sending Mr. Kim off with a sigh that mingled exasperation with a hint of amusement.

Inside the office, chaos brewed. The principal, a stout man with round glasses perched on his nose, cowered behind his desk. Aunt Tiffany, resplendent in designer clothing that spoke of privilege and power, stood tall and unwavering.

Her gaze could pierce steel, and her words were as sharp as a blade.

"You must reconsider," Tiffany insisted, her voice a whip crack of authority. "This is her last chance, and I will not tolerate another dismissal."

The principal fidgeted nervously, beads of sweat forming on his forehead. "Mrs. Yang, I understand your concern, but the incidents involving Jihye have been..."

"Enough!" Tiffany's voice cut through the air like thunder, causing a framed photo on the wall to rattle. "If you don't find a way to accommodate her, I will ensure consequences that you cannot fathom."

A crash from within the office signaled a momentary pause—a warning of impending storm. Jihye knew this scene all too well. It was the dance of power, a performance where her stepmother held all the cards and played them with precision.

Deciding it was time to make her entrance, Jihye pushed open the door with a casual grace that belied the tension in the room. She sauntered in, bag of chips in hand, and settled into a chair opposite her stepmother.

The principal's gaze flickered between them, unsure of who posed the greater threat.

"Is it safe to come in?" Jihye asked with a hint of mischief, her eyes twinkling with amusement.