It's You. It's Always Been You.

I had been in love with him for seven years. Completley, entirely in love.

He had been in love with her for eight years. Entirely, fully in love.

It was a cloudy Monday afternoon when we told each other that secret. I remember the feeling that someone finally understood. And suddenly, we became friends. Weeks passed. Months passed. And then somehow, we ended up in a car together, talking about them.

That's when it happened. One moment my cold hand was sitting in my lap, and the next it wasn't. It was intertwined with his warm, strong one, in between us. And once again I felt it. The feeling that someone understood.

More months passed. I went to visit a friend who had moved to Idaho. One of my best friends. I missed her so much.

We started talking. She had gone down to Arizona for winter break and seen him. She told me all about it. It wasn't her fault- she didn't know. I don't blame her. But it didn't stop her words from cutting like knives, straight down to my core. How he put his arm around her. Drove her home. Told her he loved her.

"For how long?" I asked, smiling despite the tears threatening to fall.

"Five years." She said, smiling and laughing. So happy- she was so, so happy.

That night, I went home and cried.

More months passed. He never gave me a second glance. The boy I loved didn't even know I existed anymore. We used to be the best of friends.

One day, I saw the other boy again. We were talking. He was sad, I was sad. Then he asked me something.

"What's going to happen to us?"

And then, all of the sudden, when I looked up at him, I didn't see my friend. I didn't see the boy who was in love with her. I saw him like I'd never seen him before. I felt everything in me shift, towards this boy in front of me. I didn't love him anymore, I loved him.

Looking into his dark green eyes, I saw the same thing. He loved me.

I didn't hesitate any longer. I'd waited long enough already. I leaned in and pulled his lips down to mine.

We'd been pining for people who wouldn't accept us. For those who would never love us the way we loved them. But, along that broken road, we'd found each other.

"It's you." He whispered. "It's always been you."

And then he kissed me again.