Chapter 2: Protegas Me Ipsum

A/N: Skipping at the hut scene when hagrid comes

July 30-31st, 1991

The days had come and gone, and Crystal was now becoming accustomed to the reality of being a witch. She had spent time exploring her abilities, eagerly anticipating the start of the new term at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. At eleven years old, Crystal already knew every nook and cranny of the castle, having grown up there under the watchful eye of her father, the headmaster, Albus Dumbledore. As preparations began for the arrival of new students and the return of the old, Crystal was given an important task: accompany Hagrid to retrieve a boy from a family of dreadful Muggles—the Dursleys.

The hut rattled and shook under the assault of thunder and crashing waves, the small, damp room barely containing the tension that hung in the air. Petunia and Vernon Dursley lay asleep in their bed, while Dudley sprawled on the couch, his arm draped over the edge. On the floor, amidst the debris, lay Harry Potter, counting down the minutes to his eleventh birthday. He had fashioned eleven makeshift candles, staring at Dudley's watch, which now read 11:59 p.m. As the clock struck midnight, Harry whispered to himself, "Make a wish, Harry." But before he could do so, a loud bang on the door shook the entire hut, startling everyone awake.

Uncle Vernon grabbed the rifle he had recently purchased, his voice trembling as he called out, "Wh-who's there?" His question was met with another series of deafening thuds, each one causing the door to shudder on its hinges. Harry and Dudley scrambled to their feet, their hearts pounding.

Suddenly, the door burst open, revealing a towering figure—a man with a shadowy, blonde-haired girl beside him. The two figures stood silhouetted against the flashing lightning, their presence commanding the small, confined space. The giant of a man, Rubeus Hagrid, calmly placed the door back on its hinges before stepping inside, followed by the girl. Uncle Vernon, finally finding his voice, shouted, "I demand you leave at once! You are breaking and entering!"

The girl, Crystal, ascended the stairs with quiet confidence, her small hand effortlessly holding the rifle. Hagrid placed his enormous hand over hers, applying just enough pressure to lower the weapon. "Dry up, Dursley, you great prune," Hagrid grumbled, sending a blast of sparks up to the ceiling with his umbrella, causing the Dursleys to cower in fear.

Turning his attention to Dudley, Hagrid's face softened as he smiled. "Well, I haven't seen yeh since you were a baby, Harry, particularly right in the middle when I took you and this one from home."

Dudley stammered, "I-I'm n-not Harry." But Harry, who had been silent, finally stepped forward, his voice shaking. "I-I am."

"Well, obviously," Crystal remarked with a smile. "Hagrid, don't you have something for him?" she reminded the giant.

"Oh, right! Thank ye fer the reminder." Hagrid pulled out a slightly squashed box, handing it to Harry. "Sorry, we're afraid he sat on it, but it'll do fine just the same."

Harry opened the box to reveal a birthday cake with the words "Happy Birthday Harry and Crystal" scrawled on it. He smiled up at Hagrid and Crystal, gratitude shining in his eyes. "Thank you, both."

Hagrid beamed. "Not every day yer a young lad n' lass turn eleven, now is it?" He sat down, pulling out his umbrella to light a fire, while Crystal settled beside him, preparing tea.

"S-Sorry, but who are you two?" Harry asked, still trying to make sense of everything.

"Here's an idea," Crystal said with a grin. "Look at the cake, Potter."

Harry glanced at the cake once more, noting the names written on it. Recognition dawned, and he turned to Hagrid, who introduced himself. "Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts. O' course, you know all about Hogwarts."

"Sorry, no, should I?" Harry replied, looking to Crystal for an explanation.

"Bloody hell, Harry, have you ever wondered where our parents learned everything?" Crystal asked, shaking her head in disbelief.

"Learned what?" Harry responded, utterly confused.

Crystal sighed and faced him, her tone serious. "We're a wizard and a witch, Harry."

Harry's eyes widened in shock. "I-I'm a what?"

"Yup," Crystal continued nonchalantly. "I had that same reaction. A wizard, and a thumping good one, once we're trained, of course."

Hagrid handed Harry a letter—one Crystal had already read herself. Harry took it carefully and began to read:

Dear Mr. Potter,

We are pleased to inform you that you've been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry...

Harry's thoughts were interrupted by Uncle Vernon, who stormed up beside him. "He will not be going! We swore when we took him in, we'd put a stop to all this nonsense!" Vernon's outburst revealed a long-held secret, and he immediately regretted it.

"You knew?!" Harry's voice trembled with rage. "You knew and you never told me?!?" He turned to Crystal, his voice softening with envy. "I may envy that you have parents, Crystal, but I'm glad you have two wonderful ones, I suppose."

Aunt Petunia, her voice dripping with disdain, finally spoke. "Of course, I knew. My perfect... sister," she spat, her words laced with bitterness. "She got herself blown up, and we got landed with you."

"Blown up?! You told me my parents died in a car crash!" Harry yelled, his anger finally breaking free.

"A car crash?!" Crystal echoed, her voice filled with disbelief and anger. "You filled him with bloody lies?!"

Petunia remained unfazed. "We had to say something," she replied coldly.

Vernon, still defiant, insisted, "He'll not be going!"

Crystal chuckled, folding her arms. "Oh, and a great Muggle like yourself is going to stop him?"

"Muggle?" Harry asked, turning to Crystal.

"Non-magic folk," she explained briefly.

Hagrid, who had been silent for most of the exchange, finally spoke up. "This boy's name has been down ever since he was born. He's goin' to the finest school of witchcraft and wizardry, and he'll be under the finest headmaster the world has ever known... Albus Dumbledore."

"I will not pay to have some crackpot old fool teach him magic tricks!" Vernon retorted angrily.

This was too much. Crystal glanced at Hagrid, who shared her sentiments. Without her own wand, she relied on Hagrid, who growled, "Never... insult... Albus Dumbledore in front o' her or me." He then pointed his umbrella at Dudley, who had been greedily eyeing the cake, and with a flick, Dudley sprouted a curly pig's tail.

Screams filled the hut as Petunia, Vernon, and Dudley fled to the other room, leaving only Harry, Crystal, and Hagrid in the silence.

"It'd be best if we don't speak of this, Harry," Crystal whispered to him. "Strictly speaking, Hagrid's not allowed to do magic."

Hagrid checked his pocket watch. "Oops! Best be off, runnin' behind schedule. C'mon, Crystal," he called, heading for the door.

As they prepared to leave, Harry hesitated, looking back at the Dursleys. Crystal smiled at him, sensing his unease. "Unless you'd rather stay, of course," she teased lightly, though her words carried a deeper meaning.

Harry, feeling a sense of freedom and hope for the first time, smiled and followed them out into the night, ready to embrace his new life as a wizard.

Authors Note: Please vote and comment feedback I'd love to hear everything or read I mean :)