chapter 4

• Dedicated to Abigail :)

“Yes dad?” I nervously walked into the kitchen following the footsteps of my dad.  My dad is a very quiet man. Some people would be intimidated by him because of his height.   He is almost 6 foot 7, but underneath he is a big teddy bear.  Hmm…what could I have done this time? I don’t remember doing anything bad….I mean most of the time I’m in my room on tumblr or listening to music.  Is it about my grades? No I am a straight A plus student.  What could it be?

“so honey, I just wanted to tell you how extremely proud of you I am.  You graduated top of your class and you’re going to the college I could have only dreamed of going to.  So as a gift for your great job in school and for a break before going to Cambridge in the fall, your mom and I are paying for you to go to America for 3 weeks” he scratched the back of his almost bald head while he waited for my reaction.

Wait what? What did he just say?? I’m going to America???? I CANT BELIEVE IT!!!  Wait why is he staring at me? Oh yeah he’s waiting for me to say something.  I open my mouth to talk or scream or anything but nothing comes out.  I just stand there like an idiot with my mouth open.

“honey? Are you okay? If you don’t want to go that’s fine. And we will just give the ticket to that concert for that band you like, what are they called One Way?, to Maggie or something.  I’m sure someone will want them or-”

“OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!! WHAT?!?!?!?! YOU GOT ME ONE DIRECTION TICKETS TOO??? THANK YOU SO MUCHHH!!! YOU ARE THE BEST DAD IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! I CAN’T BELIEVE IM ACTUALLY LEAVING ENGLAND AND GOING TO AMERICA! OH MY GOSH WHEN DO I LEAVE?” I threw my arms around my dad and squeezed him until he told me he couldn’t breathe.  “thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!”

I’m pretty sure my mom has cried the entire way to the airport, which, I might add, is an hour drive.  I honestly didn’t know a person’s tear ducts could hold that much salt.  It truly amazes me how upset she is over me going to America for only 3 weeks.  It’s not like I’m leaving the county….oh wait. I am.

“Now Becca, are you sure you’re going to be okay all by yourself.  I mean I can book another ticket for me to come with you if you want.  I’m j-j-j-ust  going t-to miss you s-s-o much….”

“Mom I promise you I will be fine! I’m a big girl! And please don’t cry anymore!”

“I’m sorry honey. I just worry about you leaving me and never coming back”

“Mom, I will always come back home.  And you’ve got this little brat over here to deal with.” I nudged my little brother in the arm.  Well he’s not that little considering he’s almost a foot taller than me. He got his height from our dad, while I got the short gene from mom. 

“BECCA!” Mom scolded me as always.

“Hey! Don’t call me a brat! I’m glad you’re leaving for a while. It will finally give me a break.” Bret teased back at me, but I could see he was fighting back some tears.

“Yeah yeah whatever you say.”

“Now Becca you make sure you keep safe.  Don’t talk to strangers and make sure you have your wallet and phone with you at all times. And watch out for pick-pocketers, you know New York is a busy city.” I looked over at my dad and nodded as I acknowledged what he said.  New York is a really big city.  I’ve barely been out of my little town in Cheshire.  I’m really going to miss my dad.

“FLIGHT 234 TO NEW YORK CITY IS NOW BOARDING”

“Well looks like that’s my flight…” I looked over at my brother and a tear slipped down his face.  “Oh come here” I grabbed him and embraced him as tightly as I could, “I’m really gonna miss you booger.” I whispered in his ear as a two tears slid down my cheeks. Even though we fight we are as close as siblings could be.

“I’m gonna miss you too Becks.  Be smart.  Don’t go near any sketchy hobos….or any boys for that matter.” I giggled and shot him a look of mock anger, “What? I’m just being honest and a protective little brother!” I smiled up at him.

“I love you Bret. Don’t get in any trouble while I’m gone.” I let go of him and moved over to my mom.  She began to sob immediately. “I love you mom.  I promise you I will call or text you every night.”

“Okay honey.  Just be careful and aware of your surroundings.  And always remember that I love you more than anything in the world.”  I gave my mom a tight hug and moved forward to my dad. 

“I love you Becca.  Go have fun.” I gripped my dad and tried as hard as I could to fight  back the tears that were beginning to roll down my face.

“Okay dad.  I love you.”  I let go of my father and grabbed my suitcase.  “Love you guys.” I blew my family one last kiss before grabbing my suitcase and walking over to get on the flight.  As I handed the woman my ticket I glanced back at my family to see my dad wipe a tear away from his eyes. 

“Here Miss.  Miss?  Here’s your ticket.  Have a great flight,” I took my ticket from the snobbish looking lady and rolled my carry on down the long, narrow passage leading on to the flight.  When I finally got on the plane, I found my seat.  Yes! Window seats are the best.  That means hopefully I can avoid whoever I get stuck beside. I settled into my seat and got comfortable.  This is going to be a long plane ride.