Chapter 2

I decided to enter through the back door in case someone did hear my sound in the front. The door was a sliding glass door and it wasn’t locked. I slowly inched my way in and found myself in a very small kitchen. There was another door that led to what I thought was a basement, and then I saw another door that led to a hallway. I chose that door first and saw that it led to a parlor with a staircase near the front door. I quickly looked through all the rooms and found they were empty. Good. Now I could focus on some food.
        I was heading back toward the kitchen and blocking the hallway was a figure. My heart felt like it stopped and my whole body froze in place. The figure was in a dark part of the room, so I couldn’t see who they were or if they had a weapon on them. Thinking about weapons, I quickly lifted my gun at them and forced myself to control my aim. They didn’t move an inch.

“Who are you?” I said in my ‘don’t mess with me’ voice.

A pause. “Call me Ted.”

“Step forward and put any weapons you have on my floor.”

He didn’t move an inch. “I can assure you I have no weapons. I don’t want to hurt you.”

“I don’t want you to hurt me too, hence this gun.” I slightly hovered my gun higher for him to understand what I meant.

I saw his head bend slightly to the right. “Do you even have ammunition in it?”

I cursed silently. I didn’t want to waste my last bullet, and if I denied it now he would easily see through the lie. I just stood my ground.

“It seems to me, judging by your countenance and by a lack of items in your backpack, you would like some food.”

I almost couldn’t concentrate on his words, my brain was so starved. All I could think about was holding my gun. The mention of food automatically caused my stomach to ache, but luckily it didn’t make a sound. “I’m just fine, thanks.”

He tilted his head straight again.

“Perhaps we can make some arrangement.”

I snorted.

“You can slowly put down your weapon, and can stay here as long as you want. If any of your companions find you, you will leave and tell no one about me. I will not pursue you and you will do likewise.”

“And if I don’t agree?” I asked with a low voice.

There was a beat of a pause. “We can agree you are somewhat intelligent, am I right?”

I blinked at this turn of conversation. I was expecting a threat of some sort. I didn’t answer because I was getting impatient.

“I can assume you have already searched my house and haven’t found what you want or need. I can also assume you have walked a considerable distance to get here, and have found no game in the process. If you’re lost, your group won’t be here for a few days at least. I actually do have food, but I won’t tell you where. Everyday that you are here, I will give you my share of food I prepare. As long as you don’t harm me or bring attention to this place. I will promise not to hurt you in return. I believe it is a reasonable request. Unless you believe you can make it without protection. Or water.”

I sighed.