Chapter 9. First day away from home

I fell asleep on the couch but woke up in my bed. I felt gross, since I couldn't take a shower yesterday. Fiona seemed to be sleeping. I found a pair of grey sweats laid out on a chair next to me. They seemed a bit too big for me. But, I put them on anyways. No one was around upstairs or downstairs. What time was it?

"Alissa?" 

I turned around. It was Fiona, she was rubbing her eyes.

"Hey." I greeted

"Are we alone?" She asked

"I don't know, I haven't seen anyone." I answered

Fiona stared at me with a dull expression.

"What?" I questioned

"Your eyeliner is all over your face." She answered

I rubbed my cheeks and got come black smudge on them.

"I probably look like a clown." I guessed

"More like a zombie." Fiona assured

"Thanks." I replied

She smiled and walked passed me into the kitchen. 

"I told you we need those makeup wipes." She chimed

I went upstairs and took a look at myself in the mirror. There were two blurred out black circles under my eyes. I opened cold water and tried to wipe them away but they got worse. There had to be something I could use to clean up. I searched in the nearby cabinets. I found a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Upon taking it out a wooden box fell to the floor. Out of curiosity I bent down and tried to open it. There was a lock, but it was broken because of the impact the fall had. The box contained a couple necklaces, a stack of postcards and old photographs. The necklaces were beautiful. One of them was turquoise colored with various shark teeth hanging from the sides, the other was a choker with a guitar pic hanging from the middle. It had the initials D.S. behind it. Without giving much thought I put on the necklaces and browsed through the photographs. There was a postcard of New York, Miami and Jamaica. They were really pretty, I thought about taking them to my mom when I could return home. She collected postcards. After a moment of browsing I found a picture of a couple, they were dancing. The girl looked a lot like my mom and the man looked a lot like Fiona's dad. I took the picture and ran downstairs.

"Fiona!" I yelled

"What!" She answered with her mouth full of whipped cream. 

She had taken the courtesy to make herself pancakes.

"Is this your dad?" I asked out of breath

She took a look at the picture.

"Is that your mom?" She asked

"No, I was hoping you wouldn't say that." I groaned

"Yeah, that's my dad. But, what is he doing with your mom?" She investigated. 

I shook my head. 

Fiona looked up at me.

"Hey where'd you get that necklace, I have one just like it back at home?"

I held the shark-tooth necklace.

"This one?" I asked

Fiona nodded

"I found it upstairs, in the same box I found the picture in, where'd you get yours?" I asked

"My dad gave it to me when I was little. He said it was a souvenir from Jamaica." She responded

"It looks just like this one?" I asked

"Just like it." She answered

I remembered the postcard from Jamaica that I had found in the box. I ran upstairs to see if anything was written on it. Fiona followed me. The post card had absolutely nothing written on it. But, it was very ironic how Fiona had the same necklace as in this box, postcards, which my mom conveniently collected and a picture of her and Fiona's dad. I rubbed my eyes. This had to be a bad joke.