Chapter 1

Nishihara Mana stared at herself in the mirror with distant horror. She hadn't worn this kind of dress since her teenage years and maturing had done little to make her more comfortable in it. A little black dress perfect for a night out, as Ino had chimed when handing it to her. Stupid fucking bet, she grumbled as she did a last spin.

'Relax, you look great,' Ino said as she entered the room again, carrying an oversized bag.

'It feels like it's riding up with every movement,' she said and pulled at the hem of the dress.

'You're imagining things. Sit. Besides, if it does, it'll just be easier to catch someone,' she winked.

'Catch who, exactly?' Mana asked as she let Ino go to town on her face.

'You and I both know someone like you are just wasting away in that research facility. You're worse than Sakura, I swear. Bloody workaholics, both of you. You go between work and home, and never do anything for fun. It's high time you relax, kick back... let your hair down,' she grinned and ran a hand through Mana's red hair, untangling it as she went. 'When was the last time you didn't have your hair tied up?'

'I untie it when I sleep.' She coughed at Ino's pointed look. 'I can't have it down when I'm working, it could get it the way.'

'Yet you don't cut it, despite it already reaching your ass.'

'It's a family thing,' Mana sighed. 'Cutting it is equal to giving up our honour, or something like that. I wasn't paying too much attention. I just know I'd be disowned if I did more than just trim it for appearance's sake.'

'Well,' Ino said and stepped back to admire her work. 'If I can get your hair as fine as your face, I might consider you my best masterpiece so far.'

'What an honour.'

Half an hour later, she stepped back with a pleased sound. 'If I was into women, I'd fuck you.'

Mana snorted. 'On the Ino-scale, that's the highest praise, right? Or was it the "fuck me backwards" and something or another?'

Ino waved her comment away. She stepped up to the mirror and added a bright red colour to her lips. A quick spin and a tug to straighten her own dress and she pulled a pose with a sultry smile. 'All done.'

'You know, you are your own masterpiece,' Mana commented as they left the apartment.

'Oh? If you were into women, you'd fuck me too?'

'In a heartbeat.'

'Glad to hear it. Sakura is meeting us outside the club. I've invited some other people as well, so I'm sure it'll be a fun evening. Remember to relax, Mana.'

'I'll... do my best.'

'It's the best we'll get, I suppose,' Ino said as they headed down the street.

Their heels clicked against the pavement, barely audible above their conversation. The air was cool compared to the temperatures it reached during the days; summer in Konoha was always a struggle, but it was far from needing jackets. Ino fiddled with the small clutch bag she had grabbed on the way out as they walked. Mana smiled slightly at the unusual nervousness.

'I suppose Shikamaru-san will be there?'

Ino glanced at her from the corner of her eye. 'What makes you think so?'

'It's cute how you try to deny that you like him. See? You're blushing.'

'This night is to make sure you and Sakura get some time off and don't think about work.'

'And to get some R&R with Shikamaru-san,' Mana said and wiggled her eyebrows at the blonde. 'Don't worry, Ino, I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to sneak away.'