04

Karlie's POV

Taylor and I decided to stay home for the day and to my surprise my mom was perfectly ok with that. From what I could tell, Taylor wasn't ready to see anyone or put on a fake smile for anyone.

"Do you wanna watch a movie or something?" I ask her, wanting to break the uncomfortable silence that had settled over us since my parents left for work.

"Yeah sure that sounds good to me." She replies while looking down at her hands. I go to the kitchen to grab us some popcorn.

"What movie do you want to watch?" I ask plopping down on the couch next to her.

"Umm, anything is fine with me. You pick." She says. We land on the Edge of Seventeen since neither of us have seen it before. I notice throughout the movie she shifts closer and closer to me until our legs are tangled and her head is on my shoulder. I cuddle into her, knowing she could use some comfort right now. I don't know what she's been through but I sure as hell will do what I can to make it better. By the end of the movie we are both crying messy tears. I turn off the TV and hug Taylor closer to me. Her hair smells sweet and fresh and I just enjoy being here with her. I hug her until we both fall asleep.

A few hours later

"That was the best I've slept in a long time." She admits, yawning and looking up at me.

"I'm sorry" I say, embarrassed of how easy I have it.

"No no, don't apologize. My messed up family isn't your problem."

"I know it's not my business but if you want to talk about it, I'm ready to listen. Whenever you are ready though." I respond, looking her in the eyes.

"I don't want to dump a bunch of stuff on you but I guess I kinda owe you an explanation since I've known you for all of two days and I'm staying at your house." I nod at her, signaling her to continue. "My dad has an alcohol problem... I haven't seen him sober since I was 7 years old. When he's drunk, he's angry and looking for a punching bag, which is usually me." She says, tears filling her eyes.

"Awe bub, I'm sorry. And I know that doesn't fix anything and there isn't anything I can do to change your family but you're safe here. You can stay here as long as you need." I reply, hoping to ease as many of her anxieties as possible. I hug her closer to me and intertwine our fingers. I know my mom will be happy to have Taylor around. She already thinks there's something more going on between Taylor and I and I was quick to reassure her otherwise. Despite how I feel about Taylor, I can't take advantage of her like that. I'll wait as long as it takes for her to heal and I'll be there every step of the way.

Taylor's POV

I feel good having told Karlie my family situation. I don't want pity or sympathy from her but I've never explained this to anyone. I am more comfortable around her than I have been with anyone in a while and that's scary. I promise myself not to get too comfortable with her and let my guard down too much. I can't get hurt again.