Chapter Twenty-One

Heather looked down at her jacket happily. "It has spikes so I can hug people I hate."

Oliver laughed. "And how many people do you hate, exactly, Heather Alton?"

She shrugged, putting on an innocent face. "Depends on the day." She twisted from side to side and batted her long eyelashes, and Oliver laughed.

"You look adorable." He told her. "Spikes look good on you."

"Thanks, Olls, but I don't want to be adorable." She protested. "I want to be fearsome! Rawr!" She held up her hands in the shape of claws. "Fear me and my leather jacket!"

He laughed even harder. Beginning to feel self-conscious, Heather started to blush, unsure whether she wanted to punch him or kiss him.

He made the decision for her, and planted a peck firmly on her red cheek. "My fearsome Skater Girl."

She made an Aw, isn't he just so cute? face and slid her fingers through his. "Nerd."

And just then, her dad came in.

Oliver squeezed her hand.

Heather immediately stiffened, her hand frozen in his.

Little shivers travelled down her body, and she saw Oliver almost immediately step a little bit in front of her, creating a wall in between Heather and her past.

"Dad," she said. Her voice had become leaden.

"Heather," he replied. "Who is this?"

"Not like you care, any—" Heather started, but Oliver broke in.

"I'm Oliver Williams, sir." He stepped forward, offering Mr. Alton his free hand.

Noah ignored Oliver completely, turning to Heather. "What is he doing here?"

Heather's eyes found the floor, but her hand tightened around Oliver's. "He's my boyfriend."

A salt-and-pepper eyebrow quirked up. "And I didn't hear about this because?"

"You don't give a crap." Heather breathed.

"Excuse me?"

"I guess I hadn't gotten around to telling you." Heather said instead. She met her dad's eyes, and willed herself not to be afraid.

It didn't work.

So she was relieved when Oliver pulled her hand a bit, leading her towards the door. "We should be going, Heather."

"Yeah."

She strutted away, and he followed her out the door and into his used car.

"Hey, Heath?" he said softly, as she chose a radio station.

"Yeah?" she squeaked back.

He looked sidelong at her and gave her a half smile. "That kiss? You're really cute when you're embarrassed.

"Ugh, I hate you so much right now." She pulled her hat down over her eyes.

"Now don't do that." Oliver said, taking her hands in one of his and with the other lifting the brim of her hat back above her face. "I want to see those pretty green eyes."

She blushed even harder than she had been already and covered her face for a second. Then she peeked out from under her hands. "Do you really think that?"